Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Default Leaded barrel - OT

A friend brought me a Ruger Single Six he had just purchased telling me it wouldn’t hit a pie plate at 25 yards with any consistency. He had tried cleaning the barrel with Wipe Out but still had crud in the barrel.

I couldn’t get a borescope down the barrel without taking the “shield” off the bore scope as you would have to do if using it on a 17 caliber barrel. After I could see down the barrel it was obvious that there was a great amount of lead just outside the forcing cone. I used a fairly close fitting brass rod with a sharp shoulder on it to scrape curled lead (6.5 grains) out of the barrel! I am considering letting Kroil soak in the barrel overnight since I don’t have any lead removing chemicals.

I have two questions:
1) What is the best way to remove the lead accumulation from the barrel, and
2) How could a 22 LR revolver accumulate so much lead. I wouldn’t think the velocity would be high enough to deposit that quantity of lead in the barrel.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member

Last edited by Gary in Illinois; 09-12-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM

I use a few strands of the copper Chore Boy scrubbing pads wrapped around a nylon brush.. Make sure it copper and not copper clad. Magnet test.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:10 PM

Wipe out/sharpshooterR has a special blend for removal of lead from rimfire's.
That might save a lot of scrubbing.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:13 PM
Supporting Member

The Lewis Lead Remover is the old standard.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I use a few strands of the copper Chore Boy scrubbing pads wrapped around a nylon brush.. Make sure it copper and not copper clad. Magnet test.
Yep! This shaves lead out quick. I like to get it clean then soak in kroil over night then hit it again the next day for a couple two three days. Gets the barrel supper clean with no elbow grease or effort. Like 56S said, make sure its the pure copper stuff.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:36 AM

In addition to the stated fixes, add JB Bore paste. Use with a patch wrapped around a worn bore brush with some Kroil on it, then daub on the JB. Short stroke through the bore, but don't reverse the brush in the bore.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:44 PM

I have kroil on hand and will use it after removal of the larger chunks using the Chore Girl copper pads. I have used Chore Girl strands to remove leading from revolver barrels in the past but thought there might be something better for the smaller 22 caliber bores.

I finally located my stash of this after an extensive search. We moved last October after 28 years in the same home and I still haven’t got all of my reloading & firearms related materials unpacked and organized.

I didn’t realize that 22 LR would lead bores like this given the low velocities- especially from revolver barrels.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The Lewis Lead Remover is the old standard.

This ^^^^^^^ definitely for large bore revolvers.

For a 22 LR, the Chore Boy treatment followed up with a good soaking with Kroil as needed is probably a better solution. A 22 LR barrel will definitely lead-up fairly quickly, especially if you 're shooting lead wax coated bullets. One thing I have noticed over the years is that very smooth 22 LR barrels lead-up maybe more easily than slightly rougher bores. No idea why........

I have tried to shoot WW coated 22 LR bullets as much as possible as they seem to cause far less problems than cheapy promo ammo.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-13-2020, 08:03 PM
Supporting Member

BCB, you're right , the 22 thing went right over my head. Thinking about removing lead, sorry.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:11 PM

I have also found that letting the 22lrs get too hot from blasting in a semi-autos can lead a barrel pretty quickly. I also found one particular brand of ammo that leaded quickly, and won't use that in any of my 22lrs anymore.