Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 AM
Supporting Member

Default Sako L461 222 action fails to feed

Need help with feeding issue I have with the above mentioned donor Sako 461 222 that I re-barreled and chambered in a 17/23 SMc (blown out 221 or FBall case with parabolic shoulder). Cartridges want to dive down and not chamber 90% of the time. A friend of mine mentioned that I could add some JB weld and build up the follower a bit I but figured the appropriate options will come from members of this forum.

As an aside, years ago Montdoug's favorite gunsmith told me that when I sent a Mod 7 Rem chambered in 17Rem to him to rechamber in 17 Mk4 that he expected if he did do that chambering that he could almost guarantee I would have feeding problems and he didn't want to have me cussing him. I rebarreled and at his suggestion chambered in a 20Tac (that he and Todd were high on at that time). Greg had just been on the cover of SCN with the 20Tac. I've had no complaints on the Tac and it shoots better then I can. But, I still wanted to scratch the 17 itch on the 221 case and thought (possibly mistakenly) I had heard on here that the Vixen wouldn't have a feeding problem. Hopefully there is an easy solution but I need the repeater function.

Any opinions and/or fixes are welcome. Thanks Jim
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 AM

Default 17/23SMc

Jim,
While I don't have any experience with a repeater in this chambering, I do have considerable interest in this cartridge. I had a Cooper Model 38 in 17 Fireball rechambered to this cartridge by Mic Mcpherson last year. I would like to have someone to compare notes with.

For what it is worth, I would have thought this cartridge would feed through this action reliably.

Please do keep us / me updated on your progress!

Thanks,

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 03-03-2014, 04:02 PM

As the 221 Fireball & the 20 Vartarg will feed reliably in the L461, I am guessing that the reduced neck diameter of the 17 in combination with a severe shoulder angle is causing the shoulder to catch on the edge of the chamber. Try a dummy round & when it catches give the bolt a good tap & see if there are any dents or scratches on the brass at the shoulder/neck junction. If so, modifying the follower is about your only option & may or may not be successful. Blown out cases with sharp shoulder angles are generally not the best choice for repeaters. Let us know how things work out.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Lightbulb May I suggest.........

.....a VERY light polish, to the rear corner of the barrel chamber.

Also, slightly reform the follower spring to create a bit of a "tip-up" positioning of the loaded round on the follower.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 AM

There should be a small radius on the end of the chamber ,make sure that is there . An adjustment of the magazine spring may help . Mag springs are finicky and can easily be ruined .
Chris
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Supporting Member

Default Feeding problems at least temporarily solved

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Chris, I did a chamber cast when I got the rifle back from the smith and the radius you reference is in fact there.

Old Hawkeye and Kevin, per your suggestion I did in fact bend the spring under the follower up a bit and was able to cycle cartridges without incident. I will polish the rear end of the chamber some tomorrow and hopefully it will be good to go.

Barrel is a 9 twist Lilja and early indications are that it intends to shoot both 25 and 30 Bergers very well. Fireforming loads of 19.5 gr of Ramshot Xterminator are very accurate at 100 and 200 yds with both the Bergers, but 30 Golds and HG 30's with that same load each shoot 2" three shot groups. Will continue development when the MN winter ends to find a pdog load for the 25's and a coyote load for the 30's using the Xterminator and also plan to give some of my "old" AA2200 a try based on a suggestion from a friend.

Gary, I look forward to discussing the 17/23 SMc down the road. Indications from others who are shooting the cartridge are that it is very impressive and I expect you are going to love yours.

Again, I want to thank you Saubier guys for your help and your continuing insight on small calibers. You're a fabulous resource for both young and old. Jim