Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Heavy Stock Varmint finished

Built this stock last year. It's my first barrel block setup. Welded it out of steel, I wanted to try a heavier dedicated colony varmint rifle. I seem to be gravitating towards heavier sticks, if they are just gonna sit in the bags anyway....

I had some trial and error with the fit, made the butt stock flat on the back at first, didn't like it as much as I thought so tapered it so I can change elevation in the field without adjusting my front rest so much. Raid helped me with that when I stopped by his shop one weekend.

Finally got the butt stock shaped the way I wanted it for the rear bag. A "one-of-a-kind stock" needs an unique paint job !! Got it prepped and painted the John Deere yellow. This is the first of my " Tractor" series colorings that I have planned , I think a Ford 8N old school gray and red paint job would look nice also, but JD it is for the 17/23 SMc !

Old 10-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Some quick pics after getting it reassembled, not the final fitting, just put it back to see how it looked.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:54 PM

Some closeups of the paint swirl. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I ran out of time, but the corn made for a great background, this started out with a JD yellow base then I swirled it in my homemade tank with oil based paint, takes some time to get it mixed appropriately, even then you're never quite sure how it will turn out.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:55 PM

All fitted and on the bench.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Did load testing for my 17HK and the JD rifle in 17/23 SMc on a fairly calm day, I had some loads made up last summer, ( 14 months old) decided to use them to sight in and then build fresh ones, keep in mind, I had this ALL apart for painting, barrel out of the block, block off the stock, scope out of the rings, rings off the bases....put it all back together and shot at 50yds. Seemed right on! Went out to 100yds and shot this group.

These are fire forming loads, 20.2 gr of Exterminator pushing the 25 gr Vmax. I was happy with it to say the least! Can't believe it came back to zero like that. It's such a joy to shoot, I was thinking about mounting a cheek piece and pad, ( mainly because everyone keep asking about it) but have decided not to. I shoot it pretty much free recoil and it doesn't move anyway, so really no need...I'm going to use it as is.

The 17/23 SMc is SUCH a pretty case!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Got the 17/23 SMc Frankenschmacker ( as JL calls it) bloodied !!

These were all fire-forming loads, 17FB to 17/23 SMc.

[/quote]
Old 10-06-2015, 03:00 PM

Old 10-06-2015, 03:04 PM

I carried it out to get some pics, but not the extensive walkabouts the lighter rifles get...the 25gr Vmax at 4050fps, really hits hard. This setup is a complete joy to shoot, the weight allows for all the action to be viewed, even at high power scope settings. I will get my 20 cal barrel block build done this winter, I NEED more of these!!

Just as it would less than brilliant to carry a 30lb rifle for yote calling, it's just as ignorant to shoot colony varmints from a bench with a 10lb rifle, IMO. Different applications, different tools. I remember reading about Eddie's heavy PD gun, not sure why I have waited this long......This one turned out great !!

This poor PD got his guts thrown on a cactus....that's gonna leave a mark....

Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 PM

Great pictures Bowfisher. You always have some neat projects.
Dave
Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 AM

Bowfisher you certainly get an A+ for creativity! I like it!

The cartridge looks like a beauty too. Im guessing it's the camera angle, but the fireformed cases look longer then the fireball case? Nice shooting.