Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 07-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Tell me about bullet making please.

Never thought of making my own bullets but now I am very curious.
How do home made bullets stack up vs sierra or berger? Consistency? BC numbers?
Do you form the jacket and the core?
How does it work?
How expensive is it?
Why?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Board Sponsor

With today's quality bullets it is hard to beat them, but it can be done as well as offers the ability to make otherwise unavailable (simply not made or due to demand/production). As long as you are meticulous in your whole operation, you can certainly make better bullets than the normal (Speer, Hornady, Win, Rem, etc...).
The basic steps are to cut the lead wire to length, size the core for weight, seat the core in the jacket, and point up the bullet (make the nose shape).
It is not terrible complicated and if you can re-load you can make bullets. The gear is rather expensive to start. Dave Corbin (Corbins.com) has a free online book you can read and it will take you through the whole process.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 PM

I know nothing and claim no knowledge of bullet making other then cast bullets for my pistols. But I may recommend searching you tube. I pulled up a few videos quickly. I can learn from reading books but I am a see it then do it kind of learner. You tube is my friend. I've learned a ton of things from it including leather holster and sheath making. You can also watch other people screw up and not have to pee on the electric fence yourself....
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 07-26-2017, 03:13 AM

About a year or two before the election I could see the way things were going with politicians determined to destroy our gun rights either directly or by choking off supplies. My logic was that swaging looked like another neat part of my shooting hobby, but also if things went bad politically, I'd have bullets & my equipment investments would only become more valuable. At least that was my rationalization at the time.

I decided to get set-up to swage .224 cal bullets from .22 rimfire casings. To tell the truth, after all the equipment I needed was purchased I probably could have bought a lifetime of .224 Sierras! Still it's fun & I enjoy it & I still think there is some good logic in my original thinking.

BTW: My expectations were fairly low on the quality of my .22lr jacketed bullets. I mainly wanted to feed a couple of .223's for plinking & varmints. But I was really surprised at how accurate my bullets came out! Brass bullets shoot great!

FWIW...
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
About a year or two before the election I could see the way things were going with politicians determined to destroy our gun rights either directly or by choking off supplies. My logic was that swaging looked like another neat part of my shooting hobby, but also if things went bad politically, I'd have bullets & my equipment investments would only become more valuable. At least that was my rationalization at the time.

I decided to get set-up to swage .224 cal bullets from .22 rimfire casings. To tell the truth, after all the equipment I needed was purchased I probably could have bought a lifetime of .224 Sierras! Still it's fun & I enjoy it & I still think there is some good logic in my original thinking.

BTW: My expectations were fairly low on the quality of my .22lr jacketed bullets. I mainly wanted to feed a couple of .223's for plinking & varmints. But I was really surprised at how accurate my bullets came out! Brass bullets shoot great!

FWIW...
+1 for me. The cost of small cal projectiles in Aust is crazy. I bought a Corbin 22LR to .224" projectiles when the AU$ was on parity with the US$. I now also do 17 cal. They shoot just as good as the factory ammo if you are anal about everything. This set up is paying for itself very quickly.
Bill
Old 08-08-2017, 07:44 PM

Default Wellllll.....

Three big dogs in the business I know of. Dave corbin, corbins.com etc., Richard Corbin, receo.com, and Bullet Swaging Supply/Mr. Blackmon. Prices vary and you have to do your own research. Mr. Deustch and another make some very high quality and high priced dies for match bullets. They can be found on benchrest boards.

Both Dave Corbin and Richard Corbin have written books and have them posted on their sites. Dave is the more "wordy" with many works published. The outline is thorough without pictures. You have to buy the paper to get the pictures. Oh welllll....

It is TEDIOUS. You pull the handle at least 3 or more times per bullet. Then there is cleaning and weighing and ... If, like many, you shoot a box or so a year (or less) I cannot recommend it. If you shoot prairie dogs or the like... nice way to pass the winter. Luck. Happy Trails.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Board Sponsor

I honestly think the main 'thing' that come from a non-commercial operation it is the satisfaction of making your own bullets and tinkering. I can tell you from my end, even as a business, I still tinker like it is going out of style. Lots of fun, and yep the dies cost the same as a good rifle. Re-sale value is good running about 3/4 of new.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com