Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

View Poll Results: Should we consider copper solids for maximum effect on large varmints
Do I need a longer barrel? 2 33.33%
Should I use more case capacity? 1 16.67%
Should I go up in bullet weight? 3 50.00%
Should I be using lighter bullets, or sabots ? 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Question 17 caliber solid copper hyper velocity

http://db.tt/Kr5hW4q the little rifle
http://db.tt/a9EZlIL balistic gel
http://db.tt/TT8xf9W the damages GRISLEY!!
http://db.tt/i638jeA the loads
How fast can I push a 17 or 19 grain copper solid through a 21" tubed 17 Fireball /M IV barrel? can I get over 4500 fps?
Does anyone have any experience with hyper-vel solid copper bullets (non hollowpoint)
Does anyone know where I could find such information like shear forces for projectiles like something Varmint Al might know?
If you are on here Al, please help me a bit here I know you and a lot of others here are a lot smarter than me.
Hutch

Last edited by 17tbs; 11-08-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 AM

I think to get over 4,500 fps you will need to step up to a 17 Remington, or consider your brass a single use item. Larry
Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Personally, I would be happy w 3800+ fps. A heavier pill may be desirable. Though you will need to keep bullet length down to accommodate your rate of twist for your barrel.

I would opt for the heaviest bullet that would reliably stabilize using your barrel twist. If you are working with a 1 in 9 twist I doubt you could exceed 25 grains in a all copper and still stabilize.

Why are you wishing to push the velocity 4500 +?

Last edited by SDguy605; 11-13-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Supporting Member

I have several boxes of those little solids. I have the 20cal version aswell. I have been waiting for my 20PPC Short to get done before I rev those things up. I would say 4500fps isn't out of the question, I can probably hit 5000pfs with the PPC. What type of grouping are you getting with the Solids? Adam
Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Default Copper solids

Several years back I was playing with some turned solids in subcalibers. I made a cutting tool that looked like 1/2 a bullet long ways and would do a plunge cut against a steady rest on a mini lathe. The bullets were uniform with a semi boat tail base. To see how they worked next to a jacketed bullet
I did the same setup in 17 caliber and ran them through a 17 hornet, 17/223, and 17 Remington. The bullets were about the size of a 25 grain jacketed bullet but ran between 15 and 20 grains. Do not remember exact weight, and can' find one to weigh. They were pointed and aprox. a 6 ojive. Shot with moly
and ran up to around 4000 fps. Groups were 1" to 2" at 100 yards. Unless bone was hit exit holes were small and game hit in the chest area would often crawl or run. Some coyotes were found when buzzards found them. With a hollow point they would probably be much better.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 PM

I had a couple plastic boxes of 17 cal. solids at one time to try on fox, I never could get them to group. I contacted the guy that made them and he said I needed to take a 17 cal. pellet and slug the barrel and then send back to him and he would turn the bullets to match the dia. of my 17 cal. barrel.
Problem was the bullets were'nt tight enough to seal the gases when fired. Well I just gave up on them rather than wear out a barrel for a bullet that may never work..
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 AM

I have also never been able to get a solid to group. Someone must be able to do it, but it is not me. Larry
Old 11-14-2010, 06:12 PM

I looked at the poll posted above and it don't make any sense.

[quote][/Should we consider copper solids for maximum effect on large varmints
Do I need a longer barrel?
Should I use more case capacity?
Should I go up in bullet weight?
Should I be using lighter bullets, or sabots ?QUOTE]

From my experience solids should'nt be used on Predators or even used for hunting. They don't exspand and just pass through the animal and they will bounce around some if animal is missed. Not safe!

For barrel length the longer the better. You want to get as much vel. as you can. Vel. and energy is what makes the 17 cal. shine.

For case capacity 17 f.b. being minum and 17-204 being max.

For killing Predators like coyotes the 30 gr. seems to be the right bullet weight and 20-25 gr. for fox or smaller animals.

Lighter bullets are for shooting small pests like PD or gophers..
Old 12-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Supporting Member

Dick Saunders did 4500 FPS + with a solid Barnes Bullet back when they made them...in a 17 Jet.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Default barnes solid 17 caliber bullets

What was the grain weight of the old Barnes 17 caliber solid bullets? Does anyone have a guess or know ?

Tags
17 & 19 grn copper, cnc copper solid, hypervelocity