Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
A lot of guys I know in BR shot 8208 the first year it came out. Its sure isn't Thunderbird. Most of them sold it after a short time or used it for BBQ starter.
A lot of BR shooters got the impression that IMR 8208 XBR was going to be the same as the discontinued IMR 8208 , made in Canada, that some SRBR shooters had bought up and began calling Thunderbird.They jumped on the BR bandwagon and bought up a bunch only to find that it was too slow to work great in the 6mmPPC with the 65-68 grain FB bullets that fit and worked best for SRBR. You are implying that it is not a great, temperature insensitive powder, but I assure you that it is in a cartridge designed to be optimal for it. A friend is happy with the groups he is getting with 21.2 grains of IMR 8208XBR pushing the 55 Berger to 3250 fps in his 24" , 8" twist, varmint rifle. I talked to him today and he said he was able to hit the, flip up, kill zone on his coyote target at 400 yards with ease.

[IMG][/IMG]
Works great at 22.2 grains with with the 40 V-Max as well.
[IMG][/IMG]
Top group shot from bipod at 300 Meters. IMR 8208 also works good with the 40 V-Max and 39 BK shown on the lower targets.
[IMG][/IMG]

If you had kept in touch with the BR guys you would know that Western Powders brought back the discontinued IMR 8208, Thunderbird, in the form of LT 32. Speedy Gonzales tested it and found it to work the same , or better, than his ancient lot of Thunderbird. In fact it is made on the same machinery here in Canada.

Last edited by 20 EXTREME; 08-01-2016 at 09:17 PM.