Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 AM
Supporting Member

I should think it has to be the case if copper is being scraped off the base of the bullet. I agree too that I've never seen a case that was chamfered properly scarf up the bullet base? That said the steel wool idea might work well but be sure none of the particles of steel wool get into your die or it'll scratch it. I sometimes use steel wool to remove the carbon from case necks but always brush inside the case necks after.
Finally and most importantly, if something is barking up the edge of the base of the bullet it will most definitely mess up your accuracy. You can tweak the nose a considerable amount with little effect but the edge at the base of the bullet is an altogether different deal. If it's scarfed it screws things up a lot.
Just my 2cents .
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Supporting Member

Default I just gotta ask

Doug, is "Barking up the edge" and "if it's scarfed"...are those Dougism's or Montana Speak?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Supporting Member

Perfect Montana Speak Chuck but you can use em in Texas and claim em as your own if you like, we are very generous with our mangalation of the English language up here. If ya can't come up with the right word than make one up ya like has always been my motto .
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Just to followup, I learned a lot from this observation, question, and your very helpful responses!
Upon looking at the condition of the top of the necks with a magnifying glass, I can see that tumbling has taken its toll - nice clean brass, with banged up necks.

Sooo.. I experimented with the suggestions:
1. Steel wool to smooth out the top of the neck only - this works! Experimented with 3 cases, only one hint of what may have been a minute particle of copper. Thanks AB Bentley!
2. Not having one of the VLD chamfer tools, I adjusted the K&M inside chamfer tool to go a bit deeper. This also seemed to work very well. Of the 3 test cases, none show any visible copper from the jacket. Thanks Hal, KMullins, DungHeap, WirelessGuy, & MontDoug!
3. So next I combined both of these - a deeper chamfer and smoothing the top edge of the neck. All cases worked flawlessly - no visible copper from the jacket.
4. After finding a tool that I could use with the "0000" steel wool, I added a set of cases to which I slightly smoothed out the interior of the neck ID after performing the deeper chamfer. No visible copper.

- So, I'm changing the sequence in my process - tumble, then proceed with triming, chamfering etc.
- I managed to shoot these test loads on Saturday - and no surprises.
- I have VLD chamfer tool on order, as well as a larger neck bushing. I need to shoot some prairie dogs before I can try a larger bushing... tough break! (going on Memorial Day weekend)

Thank you for sharing your expertise, gentlemen!

Ramos mentioned neck turning! Ha - the dark side! Also mentioned it not being too difficult to learn/do.. So, IF a person were, let's just say, hypothetically speaking of course, that a person was intrigued by some of the hoped for improvements (greater uniformity of loaded rounds)... hypothetically, would a person loading for 20 VarTarg (using new 221 Fireball brass) perform the neck turning before sizing the neck to .20 caliber?, or after fireforming?? Just curious!

And IF the hypothetical detail-oriented person has measured the neck thickness on enough of those fine FireBall brass to know they're not identical (shock), is there anything to be gained on the target (paper or yonder mound)? Is it worth the time?

Perferred tools to make this realistic?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Stretch is headed down the long, dark path........hypothetically, of course!!!

I am going to let those who are making VT brass themselves answer your query. That cartridge is at the top of my wish list but, I'm not a MEMBER yet.

One thing I will say is that you are decreasing the neck diameter by almost 10% going from 22cal to 20cal. Not extreme but, the neck IS getting thicker when you do that. I am a fan of cleaning up my 204 necks. By that I mean I am trimming maybe 60% to aid in uniform neck tension.

Tags
20vt, vartarg