Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 07-30-2013, 11:44 PM

Default 17HH cartridge reloading

Bought a set of 17HH dies from country sport (eBay), but now can't find seller.. Amazon has 17HH RCBS dies subject to 1-3 mo. wait....I would sure get on that list. If I had to, believe I could reload factory brass with extended s/h, RCBS Comp seating die with .17 cal inserts, if I were to NK size only. RM
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Supporting Member

Default hallelujah.......

or I should say "DOH!".
Just went out and tried the 17 Remington Collet die and turned extended shell holder [a second one for the Mach IV case] I made to work on 17AH and Mach IV for years. Now I can call it a 17HH Collet die, too. Works great. The 'newsed' CZ Varmint I just bought had 15 rounds shot of the 25 rounds of the only box of ammo they had bought. Ran the fired cases thru the custom 17 collet and it worked great. Now to see if the seater will let the 17HH case fit and I'll be seating bullets. I have two types of primer pocket uniformers and they are telling me a little bit about the pockets. I need to go look at some WW hornet primer pockets and compare.
Should be trying some 17HH reloads maybe as early as Friday morning. Still have the 10 unfired, unstaked factory rounds, and the new box of 'staked' ammo I bought the other day.
I sure hope Hornady gets the cases coming out of production lines 'correct' because it seems WW brass is too small in diameter.

Here's the picture with an 17AH case showing position:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Alan in GA; 07-31-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 AM

Alan in Ga. Thanks for the tip on using the 17 Rem. collet die.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 AM
Supporting Member

Default collet die conversion.....

Not sure if you followed all about this die usage, a new die 'cap' was made and threaded for a hex socket screw so minor 'up' (allowing the deprime/sizeing mandrel to not project as far down as stock cap caused) adjustment could be made to prevent the depriming end of the mandrel from hitting the inside of the case webs. You could use the factory cap but it has few thin threads and might strip although we didn't have that happen. Buddy with lots more lathe expertise than me [no laughing now] said let's make some caps and knurl them, thread for hex socket screw for adjusting the decap/sizeing mandrel.
His lathe is a 15" swing by 'way out there' ways and lots of horsepower. He turned down the .223 and hornet extended shell holders using HIGH speed and carbide cutters because SOME of the shell holders are tough and harder than my wife's first biscuits. Some are not so hard but a carbide cutter is probably necessary.

I don't know why LEE doesn't make 17 Collet dies, they saved me a LOT of case lube "wipe on - wipe off" work!!! I've shot thousands of 17AH and 17 Mach IV rounds that were neck sized in this die!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Alan in GA; 07-31-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Tags
17 hh