Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Cartridge Collecting, Small caliber cases exchange.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 AM

Default 19 Ppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Dave I'm working now with 17 and 20 PPC Imp using W-W 7.62x39 for PD shooting. I shot a 19 PPC Imp PD hunting earlier this year in Mt. A couple years ago I tried the W-W for the 17 LN. You need to remember the W-W 7.62x39 will not take the pressures that the Lapua brass will. With the capacity of the W-W case in the Imp form, I'm hoping I can keep the pressure in check yet still be able to push the heavier bullets to a repectable velocity. I like to do at least 300 cases for each caliber and the cost of Lapua would be sizable amount.
Ray, would you happen to know the guy that had the 19 PPC? Name, address, phone # or anything? Thanks Bill
Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Supporting Member

Hi Wild Bill, I shot my 19PPC Imp some(400) last year on PDs. Only had time, before leaving, to work up a quick fire forming load of 25.4gr B'mark with 40 gr Calhoon. Shot good but vel was just under 3600fps. I'm was fireforming W-W brass for PDs, I'm sure there's some better powders than B'mark and will check more out this spring. I've got a 19 PPC Imp .150 short but haven't shot it yet.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Default 7.62x39

Lapua sells some fine brass in 220 Russian. Easy to form into 17 or 20 cal whether PPC or similar configurations. Don't mess with US made 7.62 x 39, if you're wanting to make 17 or 20 cal cartidges.
Artpro
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

I agree that nothing matches the lapua ( I do own a few) particularly when you want to ring the most out of cartridge they make brass for. But I'm very happy with my W-W Hornet, Bee etc brass where we don't have have lapua. I load the brass I'm using for the most vel that gives me the best accuracy with safe pressure signs. If I need more velocity I get a bigger case, I've stair stepped my cartridges for that reason and I don't feel handicapped with American made brass. And as Doug said a few 100 fps don't make a big difference particularly to someone like me thats a poor shot.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Velocity

Have to agree with you 100% Ray
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Supporting Member

good to see you back Bill.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:14 PM

Default 7.62 x 39 Brass Re-form

For a while in the mid-1980's, Sako 220 Russain brass got real scarce.

I started making 6 & 22 PPC brass out of 7.62 x 39 brass that I picked up off the range.

After painstakingly prepping the brass, necks turned to .262, brass was formed with primed CCI 200's.

It became apparent that Win, IMI, Rem, and Fed brass all were soft in the case head. PMC, however, was as tough as Sako 220 Russain brass. You may still be able to find some PMC 7.62x39 Brass, if you do, consider it gold.

What really amazed me over the next couple of years is the accuracy that is achievable out of the large primer. In my Hall M's and Stolle Panda, groups in the zero's and ones were attainable, but I did feel as if the small primer pocket was the better choice for competition having a very slight edge.

While it does take quite an effort to make 22 & 6 PPC's out of the 7.62x39, I felt as if it were well worth the effort if and only if you can find some PMC brass, otherwise, you will be forced into shooting reduced loads.