Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default the scariest thing about working on rifles

other than finding a live round in the chamber to me is glass bedding. after bedding rifles for 40+ years it is still a little nerve racking. just the thought of bedding getting into places where you don't want it to be ie. trigger or safety.
getting an action stuck is a nightmare. bedding one and getting a high spot in the bedding so the action rocks means doing the bedding over again and the nerve racking process starts over again.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 PM

foxhunter, you have a great point. Bedding is nerve racking, but for me it has been taking bench rest rifles apart from a bedding standpoint (not putting them together). I have done a number of them through the years, and one NEVER knows what you are getting into. I've been running fairly lucky of late...LOL! The last two have come apart beautifully. But some in the past have been just unbelievable to the point of destroying the stocks. Most of the time one never knows who has done the original bedding. If it was done right, it's usually not much of a problem to get them apart. But if not they can be a bear! Usually ones that are glued in and pillar bedded or tougher to take apart than the ones just glued in...but the worst for me have been the sleeved actions...OUCH! I've tried freezing, heating...you name it. It's just the luck of the draw! Old Rem 700's can be tough to remove the barrels, and CZ's can be really tough...but my nemesis has been the bedding. 410gauge
Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
other than finding a live round in the chamber to me is glass bedding. after bedding rifles for 40+ years it is still a little nerve racking. just the thought of bedding getting into places where you don't want it to be ie. trigger or safety.
getting an action stuck is a nightmare. bedding one and getting a high spot in the bedding so the action rocks means doing the bedding over again and the nerve racking process starts over again.

Agreed.........although I've worked on a few triggers that had me sweating.

Glass bedding always gets my heart rate up, until it pops loose the next day.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

After my first go round with bedding and ending up with a
ONE Piece rifle! It shoots well, so far no need to take it apart.

I've bedded quite a few without problems by
doing just one small area at a time. Small enough that little bit
can be broken loose if need be.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-09-2019, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

and everyone's favorite release agent is? I use bee's wax dissolved in 111 trichloroethene (no longer available)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Three coats of Kiwi shoe polish. I figure each coat hits something I missed before.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
Three coats of Kiwi shoe polish. I figure each coat hits something I missed before.

Same here..........usually just two coats though.........Kiwi Shoe Polish "Clear"

I've also used PAM cooking spray (only once though, even though it worked excellent)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM

My smith swears by Johnson's paste wax for release and Marine Tex for the bedding compound. I certainly can't argue because the bedding jobs he's done for me look great.

I've heard of a variety of different release agents being used with the most popular being paste wax, show polish, Hornady One shot case lube, and Brownell's Acra release is supposed to work very well but I guess it's a little on the expensive side if you are doing a lot of bedding jobs.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 PM

I'm also a Johnson's Paste Wax fan-I use it for anywhere a wipe-on mold release is needed.

For bedding, I've only ever used JB-Weld (first time trying epoxy bedding) and from then on I've used Famowood Glaze-Coat epoxy. It's a clear unmodified epoxy that doesn't have anything else in it, so if you want to add some filler or just need the absolute thinnest bedding job you can get, it works pretty good. It's also made for multiple layer jobs, so no worries about getting good adhesion later. (Both are Home Despot products so easy to get, too!)

For me, the scariest thing about working on rifles comes with rebuilding or building a new design (new to me, anyway) and fearing that I might not know all the details and wind up with a grenade.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 PM

Hornady One Shot case lube (aerosol) works for me spray twice and it gets in the nooks and crannies.