Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM

If you intend to use shoulder head space in a rimmed cartridge, then it may helpful to have the rim relief in the chamber cut slightly deeper to be free from interference of thick rims.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:36 PM
Supporting Member

Smile

FWIW, I am dealing with the headspace issue on the coned bolt rifle but it is kinda aggravating. Mandrel up the brass to 6mm, then neck back to 22 with a good crush. But then have to re-anneal or I get some split shoulders/necks on FF, then it is too soft for the false shoulder to bare the firing pin energy all by itself. So what I have come up with is doing all the above plus seat the bullet out for a hard jam and use pistol primers, then everything is 100%. Will have to see how the brass does after that. Don't have so many problems with the Cooper and Anschutz rifles, so this one is sorta frustrating because I thought it would be so neat when I bought it. I will still convert it to Spitfire when I can get everything together. BTW, I measured the boltface recess on the coned bolt and it is .125, then you need about .010-.012" bolt nose to breech clearance; thickest rim on any of my Hornet brass is .065 so headspace is running a minimum of .070-.075, a bit excessive. The Spitfire will solve all these issues, and give me an entirely new toy to play with .