Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-20-2018, 01:34 AM

Default 15 grain Lead Free .17 WSM hunt report (super graphic....warning)

Went out this afternoon with the new .17 WSM Ruger and my recently delivered (today's mail), Winchester 15gr Lead Free 3,300 FPS ammo.

Shot two shots rested across the 4 wheeler at a small box to be sure point of impact was the same as 20gr loads...........two shots in the same hole at 25 yards.

I never missed a digger rested off shooting sticks today with this ammo.........it seems very accurate, and definitely destructive.

Midwayusa.com has this in stock, on sale, and free shipping. I just ordered 40 boxes of 50 after today's findings.

Most shots were around 50 yards, nothing farther than 70 yards today.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 06-20-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 AM

These seem to be a little more explosive on average than the 20gr V max load.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:02 AM

Very nice work. I’d say those are definitely more destructive.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 AM

Eric Mayer got a hold of some 15gr 17WSM ammo early on and did a good amount of testing with it, in many different 17 WSM's. He shot some videos too. The results were a lot like the above and not only did it shoot very well but it seriously blowed up those ground squirrels.

I always enjoy reminding Eric how his POS HB SS Bmag shot that ammo into tiny little groups and out shot alllllllll the others.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale at Midway, I place an order for two 500 round cases.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Can't complain about the effectiveness for certain.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 AM

How does that fly at 100 and beyond?
I would think the slightest breeze would mess with it.
I am on the fence also as to the 17 HH or the 17WSM. Step back and look at what 17HH cost for the extra 3-500 fps.
Looking at the B mag, I have read some decent reports on them. Just looks like savage cheapened them up a bunch.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
How does that fly at 100 and beyond?
I would think the slightest breeze would mess with it.
I am on the fence also as to the 17 HH or the 17WSM. Step back and look at what 17HH cost for the extra 3-500 fps.
Looking at the B mag, I have read some decent reports on them. Just looks like savage cheapened them up a bunch.
In the rimfire world, the 17 WSM easily trumps all others, but it's still a rimfire cartridge so you are subject to hoping to always get good runs of ammo because if you don't, there's nothing you can do about it.

The 17 Hornet is a whole different animal and it shoots the same 20gr bullet a solid 600+ FPS faster than does the 17 WSM, and that's a significant difference. Also, the 17HH is reloadable which not only, drastically, reduces cost per round but it allows you to dial in a load for your specific gun.

I have both and I'm very fond of both, but for me, they aren't really that comparable. If I could only have one, I'd easily choose the 17HH every time but I'm thankful to have both.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
In the rimfire world, the 17 WSM easily trumps all others, but it's still a rimfire cartridge so you are subject to hoping to always get good runs of ammo because if you don't, there's nothing you can do about it.

The 17 Hornet is a whole different animal and it shoots the same 20gr bullet a solid 600+ FPS faster than does the 17 WSM, and that's a significant difference. Also, the 17HH is reloadable which not only, drastically, reduces cost per round but it allows you to dial in a load for your specific gun.

I have both and I'm very fond of both, but for me, they aren't really that comparable. If I could only have one, I'd easily choose the 17HH every time but I'm thankful to have both.
My sentiments exactly. I do like the 17 WSM, but I'm not getting rid of my bigger 17's either beginning with the 17 M4/17FB and moving on up....

I'm glad that we all have choices as to what suits us best.

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-24-2018, 04:02 PM

I have a 17HH. I did not crowd it on speed, but went to the accuracy. Case full of H4198, with a drop tube and 20 grain Vmax. No slouch, but not top speed either. Rather than be tormented by pressure issues I went that way.
I myself have deemed the 20HH a 20 grain bullet cartridge. 25's flew a bit better but performance, splat factor wasn't there for me. I run the 25's in the 17 Remington.

Back to the RF. I sold off my 22mag and the most of my 22 Winchester collection a few years back.
Played with a loaner 17HMR side by side with the 22 mag. For me, hands down 22 mag.
The 17 WSM has my attention,along with a buddy also. A rimfire no muss no fuss to load for. Then shoots flat enough to go to 200. Also keeping track of brass in the grass is a pita. This is where I see the 17wsm and the 17HH overlap. I go past 200, I get the 17 Remington or the 204 out.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

I like the controlled expansion rounds for the 22 a Magnum. Rounds like the Win Super X true jacketed 40gr HP, CCI 40 gr game point, 50gr Federal and CCI 40gr HP an TMJ! My 22 Magnums will be the last to go!