Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-26-2018, 04:16 PM

Default 77/22 bolt conversion

Since a lot of people on here are into wildcat cartridges and converting guns to those cartridges, I figured I'd start here. I'm looking for a gunsmith to do some bolt conversion work for me. I have a spare bolt for my 77/22 All Weather and want to have it converted to centerfire. I'm working on a centerfire 22lr equivalent, because I want to see if it's possible. I've already worked out the case forming from .25 ACP brass, and have a prototype case formed. I just need to get the last "die" to the right size, I went too small on my first attempt.

I have 2 options on this conversion, both require, probably, plugging the existing rimfire hole in the breech block. I don't have the equipment to plug the breech block, if necessary, and drill the new hole.

First option is to use the existing starting point on the back of the breech block and angle the hole down to the center. This is like, I think, how the 77/22 and 77/17 Hornet breech block is setup.

Second option is to drill a centered hole all the way through and modify the striker and firing pin to work centered. This would require a more work, because it would require a spacer/stop and a larger bore for part of the channel so a spring can be placed around the firing pin. This will keep the firing pin from being loose in the channel when it's in the "ready to fire" position. This option would also require a breech block pin to be shortened/modified for clearance of the firing pin and spring.

Does anybody know a gunsmith that might be willing to take on this project?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 PM

can't help with the bolt mod, but have you considered a shortened 5.7x28? cases would be easier to source and since it has zero taper you could shorten the die to the desired case length and not worry about custom dies. same goes for reaming the chamber. just ream to the depth of desired case length.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:55 PM

I did think about that, but I wanted something that wouldn't "change" the gun too drastically. I didn't want the chamber modified at all. I wanted a bolt swap to change from centerfire to rimfire and back, and still be able to use the unmodified stock magazine. With those limitations in mind, I have worked out a crude process to form .25 ACP brass down, and have one prototype .22lr wildcat case formed. I just need to get the last "die" in the right size. I went too small on my first attempt, I expected more spring back than I got. All of this was done with primitive tools, drill bushings to size down in 6 steps, a homemade punch to push case out of said bushings, a bench vise used as an arbor press, a drill to spin the brass on the punch after the last sizing, and a mini flat file for removing excess brass from the rim and webbing area. The only reloading specific tool used is a small primer pocket uniformer. A LOT of effort for one case, but it can be done

Here are a couple pictures of my first prototype case. Left to right: .25 ACP, .22lr Wildcat, .22lr. The link is to a google album.

22lr Wildcat

Last edited by SHI.Warlock; 04-26-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:24 PM
Supporting Member

You need to talk to the old redneck. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t been down this road already
Old 04-26-2018, 11:19 PM

oh wow! you swaged the case down to 22lr dimensions far different than what I was envisioning.

ok so here comes an interesting question what is your plan for bullets? 22lr uses a heel'd bullet and from the photo it looks like your necks are significantly thicker thus making it that much harder to find a bullet that will work. I don't think you could even turn/ream the case enough to fit a .224 bullet in it with a unmodified 22lr chamber.

very interesting project none the less! I like it.

sounds almost if turning a case from brass rod would be easier/faster. lol
Old 04-27-2018, 01:38 AM

Yes, starting from brass stock would be easier and faster, but I don't have a lathe or mill...

As for the case mouth, I haven't measured the thickness yet, but I'm pretty sure it can be reamed to .224. Once I have the correct final external dimensions, this one is a little small, I'll be more certain.

Heeled bullets can be purchased. North American Arms sells 30 grain 22 caliber heeled bullets. They are listed under cb, cb+, and cb++, those are quantity, no other differences. I'll find the link tomorrow. Or heeled bullet molds are sold at Old West Supply, I think, a 2 cavity 30 grain or a 2 cavity 40 grain, both are 22 caliber. Again, I'll post links tomorrow. All of these bullets and molds are for black powder .22 loads, but I'm sure they can be adapted to my purposes.

Last edited by SHI.Warlock; 04-27-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:48 AM

Old West Bullet Moulds

40 grain mold

30 grain mold

NAA 22 caliber 30 grain bullets. Sorry, designations are CBB, no CB.

CBB .22 caliber bullets

I have 100 of the CBB bullets, but haven't got one fitted yet, remember my one case is under sized.

Last edited by SHI.Warlock; 04-27-2018 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:07 PM

cool. looking forward to future progress!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:09 AM

I am finding this a very interesting thread, please keep going with it, would love to see how it turns out.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:09 AM

I plan to keep going with this project. My hold up right now is a gunsmith or machinist to plug and drill my breech block.

I'm doing family stuff for the next couple weekends, but I'll post updates as I make progress.