Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-09-2018, 05:06 PM

I talked to the folks at Case-Pro 100, that make the roll sizing dies yesterday, nice guy, and asked about using them to reduce the diameter of a cartridge, he told me that these tools are only designed to remove the base bulge from a case and turn them into the same diameter as factory original. He could not see how they could be used to actually reduce a cartridge diameter. Thanks Ray, for the info, I found it interesting and expanded my knowledge of how different folks reload ammo.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON

Last edited by Eagle_view; 06-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

SS: I never got into throwing things.
Busted a few knuckles on knuckle heads though.
That's why i claim these two lumps on the ends of
my arms are my : ONLY weapons, last I talked to the judge
he convinced me using them as such is Now Against the Law.
Besides, they've been busted up too many times.

On subject: I'd read about someone having table top sized
CNC lathes. checked into it as i've wanted to turn some
copper bullets. They start at $5000! Fairly well leave's me out
of that program. Too late in life anyway.
Maybe NoZ's is young enough and has the financials to get one.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-10-2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 AM

Nice project this look very promising and i like the name lady Bug
Old 06-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Supporting Member

I was looking at you final case design and it reminded me of the .22 Winchester Automatic or the .22 Remington Automatic. It was a rimfire but used bullets seated into the case the same as your setup. The .22 Win. Auto might even be dimensionally very close to your cartridge so there might be a reamer still available that you might use but looks like you're doing just fine as it is now.

.22 Winchester Automatic info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Automatic

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-12-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
I was looking at you final case design and it reminded me of the .22 Winchester Automatic or the .22 Remington Automatic. It was a rimfire but used bullets seated into the case the same as your setup. The .22 Win. Auto might even be dimensionally very close to your cartridge so there might be a reamer still available that you might use but looks like you're doing just fine as it is now.

.22 Winchester Automatic info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Automatic
You're correct, with a little work, a 1903 winchester or Remington model 16 could be made to fire the ladybug. It wasn't the original intention, but was a fairly early realization.

The ladybug is a little shorter than either, and the rim has to be cut to the correct diameter, but with a CF conversion and proper brass forming either rifle can live again as a ladybug.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Supporting Member

Do you know how many steps it took you to size the 25acp case to your final version? I would love to try to do this but with 5.7X28 brass. I have the primer pocket former to correct things as the case gets formed down but since nothing exists (that I can find) for doing such a project I'll have to make my own forming dies and wondered how many I would need to make. I've been having health problems and can't get to the range but I would love to at least try to reform the brass and make an adapter to be able to shoot the stuff in my back yard. The project you did is really something and I think doing the work alone would help get me motivated and moving -- shooting the rounds might actually be kind of secondary but still fun.

edit to add: Well I did one and was it a lot of work! I don't have any special tools so the final product is more in the range of a 22 magnum case but I still had a chance to work out the steps. the part that helped was a 221 fireball die that I cut down to the base of the shoulder so I had a bevel to help feed the brass in. That worked but wish I was 60 years younger or part gorilla. Even with the imperial wax on the whole thing it was work to press the full length into the die. The very last part I used the primer pocket swager as the base in the press and ran the case in till all I had was this little fat belly around the base of the case. I don't have a lathe to trim the excess off with so I put the case in my big bench drill chuck and used a dremel to remove the fat. This was just a test try so the final case is not pretty like Nozombies' but at least now I have some preliminary info.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-17-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Supporting Member

This is a picture of the first steps in forming my brass as shown below. On the far right is a 22 magnum spent case for comparison. My big problem is removing that web material. I don't have a lathe so I'll need to figure a way to turn the base without screwing up the rim. I did have some success with my first try but it was sloppy so I need to figure a way to do it with my limited resources. That bulge at the bottom of the case is all metal so I just need a way to turn it to the case diameter without making it look like it was chewed on by dogs.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-18-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:28 PM

boomer do I foresee another AR project? so thats a 5.7x28 case?

what about doing a snug fitting mandrel to chuck in the drill press then take a nice sharp flat file to it followed up by a finer needle file then some sand paper? still alot of work none the less.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
boomer do I foresee another AR project? so thats a 5.7x28 case?

what about doing a snug fitting mandrel to chuck in the drill press then take a nice sharp flat file to it followed up by a finer needle file then some sand paper? still alot of work none the less.
I've been thinking about doing just that but I also was thinking about making a handheld trimmer using Forster outside neck trimming parts. Forming the brass down to what is shown in the picture was actually simple -- it's getting rid of that potbelly that is the real work. I guess I'll try the file first but need an inside shaft to hold the case steady. 22 centerfire neck forming shafts are the .224" diameter and may be to big unless I reform the brass after cutting the potbelly off -- or leave it .224" and do a 22 magnum type case. I kind of ran out of steam today so this will just have to wait.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

Tried to do some more work today and am beginning to really appreciate all the work that NoZombies has done. I can form the case down and trim the fat but all the working of the brass has hardened it all and it would not be safe to anneal the whole thing. I guess at some point in time I could get an inside reamer to allow for what ever bullet I decide on. I would like to have a small 22 like a 22lr that I can shoot in one of my big bore rifles in the back yard with no noise. I have one now but it requires an adapter so I can shoot the Aguila Colibri cartridge. I guess I'll just keep plodding along and maybe something will work.