Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-22-2018, 01:38 AM

Default Ruger .17 WSM a "Thunderous Thumper"

Recently found a new honey pot for rats. Couldn't believe my eyes, the first time I laid them on this area a few weeks ago.

Rat city in the hills..........still blows me away how many squeaks are running around out here. "Free Range Cattle" helping to keep the grass mowed down short to give me full view of these little rascals.

Anyway, yesterday, a Kayak fishing trip turned into a quick excursion to this area.

As it happens often in the spring around here........the weather got the best of me. One minute sunshine and smiles and the next Thunder/Lightening/Hail/and Rain..........lots of it.

I got a good soaking, hid under a huge pine for an hour, waiting it out. Truck was 1/2 Mile away..........this is a walk in spot.

Once, the weather broke. I shot 125 rounds and put a real hurting on them.

Here I am, thinking I'm safe for the first 30 minutes..........

Then, lightening all around (within 1 mile), unleashed a cloudburst of hail/rain that wrapped around my tree with veracity. 30 MPH Winds came, and, I was done for...........

What's a guy gonna do...........atleast I had that big Pine to save me from even more moisture. Couldn't help but laugh.

And here is what a perfectly dry field looks like 60 minutes after getting dumped on in an Eastern Oregon June Thunderstorm.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 AM

I went home..........cleaned my gun.

Went back out this afternoon..........

This time, hiked in a camping chair to sit in while shooting off my stix.

Got bored after shooting 150 rounds this afternoon, so I called it quits after that.

Thousands of squeaks still running around in the sunshine..........I left, knowing this spot is a real gem!!!

Shot 50 rounds of American Eagle 20gr and 100 rounds of the new 15gr Winchester Lead Free.

Longest kill was 205 yards........first shot kill in the head (right where I was aiming).

All these pictures are of 15 grain kills...........nothing closer than 120 yards and farthest being 205 yards.

Here is the 205 yard head shot with the 15gr Lead Free Winchester load.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:45 AM

Old 06-22-2018, 01:48 AM

All in all, it was an awesome last two days.

I've only had this new Ruger 17 WSM for exactly 7 days now.

I've taken it on 4 hunts..........

And I've shot it a total of 400 rounds...........LOVE IT.

I decided to get out of dodge while I still was dry today.........

I was getting a bit bored of popping squeaks left and right. Had to be sure not to heat up the barrel too much, it was pretty hot and heavy.

Anyway, this was a little motivator to "count my squeaks" and get back to the rig before I got rained on two days in a row.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:41 AM

I love my 77/17WSM. Gonna try some of those 15 grainers too because of your posts here. Nice shoot!!
Old 06-22-2018, 03:43 AM

Nice rifle and good shooting- glad you weren't under a lightning tree!! You are like me and glad I keep a 59 cent plastic poncho...... in the truck!!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Default Love it!

You have really hit the wood lottery with your Ruger.I have always thought a Ruger in 17 WSM would be nice.Its nice to see that they have some really nice wood on some of them.I also am glad to see that the 15 grainier does so well.
Great scenery and nice looking area to hunt ,thanks for sharing your pics of an awesome hunt,I am keeping my eyes wide open for a nice Ruger like yours,maybe a trip to Scheels is in order
Matt
Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 PM

Glad she's working so well for you, if I knew I'd get one that shot as well, actually around here the trick is finding one, I'd jump on it. Enjoy.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Nice!! What a beautiful rifle!!!
Old 06-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Supporting Member

Good hunt report, Austin. I still can't believe that we both got accurate Ruger 17 WSM rifles..........

The Texas Gulf Coast has seen about 6 days of continual rain this past week (about 12") but it has come down in soft showers that soak in. Now we're at the point where we're getting some run off but it's nothing like Harvey where we spent 3-4 days getting 12" in two hours at times.

I'm hoping this hurricane season is filled with a few more tropical depressions like the one we just had come ashore from the Yucatan and none of the yucky stuff...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine