Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Default A17 Savage

Anyone have or had one?
I see a lot of mixed results on reviews.
Jeff
Old 07-05-2019, 07:38 PM

I bought a A17 hmr, gun was sent back right after I got it. The factory replaced it with a new one that works well and is accurate. A few weeks back I bought one in hm2, this one was also returned to savage due to many issues. Hope they replace this one with a shooter also. One of the serious problems with rimfires is the poor quality of ammo. One lot number, of a certain ammo, will shoot 1/2 groups, the next lot of the same ammo shoots 1 1/2 groups.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 PM

I bought one of the Target Sporter Laminate A17 shortly after they became available.

Straight out of the box I took it apart and cleaned everything, lubed the bolt how Savage recommends and gave the barrel a quick scrub.

The trigger in mine was not only excessively heavy, no matter how much I adjusted the spring, but it had an enormous amount of crunchy pretravel. There was no way I'd be able to shoot it with any amount of accuracy the way it was so I spent a couple hours tuning, sanding, polishing, and shortening springs. I was able to get the trigger down to just a little over 2lbs with just a very, very slight hint of creep/pretravel.

Put it together, torqued the action bolts to 18in.lbs and mounted an older Vari-X III 4.5-14x40AO scope using a 1pc picatinny rail and some Burris rings.

I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it shoots and it actually out shoots my bolt action 17 HMR.

All of my guns either have aftermarket triggers or triggers that I've tuned so I'm spoiled and a crappy trigger that is really heavy and has a lot of crunchy pretravel drives me nuts. Had I not been able to fix/tune the trigger in my A17 I would not have kept, but since I was able to make a pretty decent trigger out of it, and, it turned out to be a good little shooter, I've enjoyed owning it and would recommend one to a friend.

I still shoot my 17 WSM much more than either of my 17 HMR's but my A17 with a couple of the Butler Creek 25rnd magazines makes for a really fun day.

Hope that helps and if there's any questions I can answer, feel free to ask.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:19 PM
Supporting Member

I liked mine enough to have it cut to 20” and suppressed it. Now it’s even more accurate and fun. Although I bought a Boyd’s laminated stock for it I never used it. I went back to the cheap plastic stock-I like light guns.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:07 PM
Supporting Member

My A17 HMR has functioned great and had shot well. As cheap as it feels I was/am happy with mine.

But I didn’t realize they had the 17 HM 2 out... I better start looking.... dang this place anyhow lol
Old 07-06-2019, 01:59 AM

The hm2 has a lower suggested retail price. I paid 319, at reeds, that included free shipping. They also have a 20 inch barrel, instead of 22 inches. Mine is a light weight blue barrel plastic stock. If when I get it back, it shoots good, I will bed the action, like I did the hmr version. The trigger at the lowest adjustment on the hm2 was 4.5 lbs, not much creep. A different spring can get them down to between 2 and three and a half lbs.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Supporting Member

It amazes me with all the modern technology that manufacturers just can't seem to get it right. Malfunctions, crappy triggers, poor accuracy and so on. I've got several old Winchester 22's that are accurate, reliable, and have very good triggers with no creep. I've seen 1890's and 1906's that literally were not cleaned for the last 100 years and they still function. I believe I will stay old school and keep away from the plastic guns that are literally "disposable".
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Aaron
Old 07-06-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
It amazes me with all the modern technology that manufacturers just can't seem to get it right. Malfunctions, crappy triggers, poor accuracy and so on. I've got several old Winchester 22's that are accurate, reliable, and have very good triggers with no creep. I've seen 1890's and 1906's that literally were not cleaned for the last 100 years and they still function. I believe I will stay old school and keep away from the plastic guns that are literally "disposable".
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Aaron

AGREED! Savage is an abomination, in all regards, and sadly they are not alone.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:43 PM

Agreed long shot. And that is why the price of any old Winchester and Remington rifles have doubled in price in the last 10-15 years. Glad that I bought them when I did.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:59 PM

They can make good guns today also, but it is all about cost. Many gun manufactures seem to compete, to see who can make the cheapest gun. Looks and function seem to be low priorities to some gun makers.