Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-03-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Using 17 Hornet Brass to 17 Ackley Hornet?

While down at the farm yesterday afternoon, doing a bit of crow and armadillo shooting with the 17 Hornet, got curious about the difference in case length of the Hornady and Ackley versions, so had Siri look it up. Interestingly enough, she produced an article by Layne Simpson from June 5, 2019 in Rifleshootermag.com, which the writer states that one can simply run the Hornady brass through the Ackley full length die, and, while the neck and case length ends up shorter, accuracy is not compromised.

We also have some Ackley Hornets, and forming brass for them can sometimes be easy, and sometimes a real pita.....I suppose on the quality of any particular lot of brass....? Anyway, it's quite inconsistent. Would have been nice if Hornady would have made the brass closer to the same length as the Ackely version.....

My question is, have any of you guys experimented with using the Hornady brass in the Ackley chambers, and if so, what were your conclusions....there has probably been a thread on this from way back and I just missed it....

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by fosters; 03-03-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:01 PM

I am sure someone will chime in but if I recall some here shoot the .17 HH in the .17AH.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:35 PM

I tried what Layne Simpson said would work, ran the Hornady brass through the AH full length die, and it would not even come close to chambering in the Ackley Hornet chamber....sooo, so much for Mr. Simpson I guess.....oh well, it sounded good...
Old 03-05-2020, 06:12 PM

Different chambers or different FL size dies are quite likely. That is the way with wildcats.
I don't think this reflects badly on Simpson at all.
I have a FL size dies that will not size 'some' .30/06 range pickup brass small enough in the body to fit my model 70.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Different chambers or different FL size dies are quite likely. That is the way with wildcats.
I don't think this reflects badly on Simpson at all.
I have a FL size dies that will not size 'some' .30/06 range pickup brass small enough in the body to fit my model 70.
Good post, Daryl. It's just a part of the wildcat world.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-05-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I encountered this, I'd try a small base sizer die first, maybe a Redding body die as well, but think the small base die would be a more likely solution.

Regarding the initial question, my guess would be that you could make .17 Hornet cases out of .l7AH cases, but not vice versa. Take a good look at the drawings for each and you'll understand why. Bottom line: If you want to form .17 AH cases, start with .22 Hornet brass and a Bullberry double-ended die.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:53 PM

If I understand the dimensions correctly, it is the shoulder on the H hornet that stops it from going into the A hornet, not the base. Is that correct ? Bill K
Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Supporting Member

Regarding the initial question, my guess would be that you could make .17 Hornet cases out of .l7AH cases, but not vice versa. Take a good look at the drawings for each and you'll understand why. Bottom line: If you want to form .17 AH cases, start with .22 Hornet brass and a Bullberry double-ended die.

What he said.

Tom
Old 03-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster's View Post
I tried what Layne Simpson said would work, ran the Hornady brass through the AH full length die, and it would not even come close to chambering in the Ackley Hornet chamber....sooo, so much for Mr. Simpson I guess.....oh well, it sounded good...
The question there always was back when I was a kid starting out in this "wildcatting" game in the 70's and 80's about the Ackley Hornet, K-hornet, Mashburn Bee and the Donaldson Wasp was which one do you have. Length varies all over the place, especially the K-Hornet.

Perhaps the most annoy and aggravating was the .219 Donaldson Wasp, created by an illustrators error in the reloading manuals.

Will factory 17 HH fit the Ackley chamber, if so fireform factory rounds. That's how Ackley did it for his Improved cartridges, fire the standard in an Ackley chamber. That's how I make (made) all my K-hornet and Mashburn brass. (I am well aware that the 17 Ackley far preceeds the 17 HH and is not an Ackley Improved 17HH.)
Old 03-07-2020, 11:57 PM

The problem with HH to AH, is the shoulder diameter, seems to me. The HH is larger and at a lower (shorter) location than is the shoulder on the AH.

You could run the HH case into a .22 Hornet size die all the way or only part way as necessary, THEN the HH would fit into the AH chamber for sure. Still, after fireforming, they would have short necks.