Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-02-2020, 10:56 AM

Default 17 squirrel barrel length

I have decided I'm going to order a 17 Squirrel MGM barrel for my contender. What twist should I go with, I'll be shooting 20 grain vmax bullets out of it. With the small powder charge I'm assuming I don't need a long barrel to burn up the powder and I'm trying to keep it lightweight. I"m thinking about a 20" Barrel. Am I going to lose anything by going with a 20" instead of a 24"? Or could I go even as short as an 18". What is everyone's thoughts on this??
Old 04-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Don't know about a 17 Squirrel, but for 223 Remington, the barrel length is about 29fps per inch of length, using 55gr bullets.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Don't know about a 17 Squirrel, but for 223 Remington, the barrel length is about 29fps per inch of length, using 55gr bullets.
Yea, lots more powder to burn in the 223 though. I think max load for a squirrel is about 9 grains of powder. Kinda why I'm wondering if I'd see much difference or none at all. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:26 PM

If you are building something that small, I suspect it is safe to assume that velocity is not your first priority. My 2 cent worth is choose a barrel weight and length that produces the handling characteristics that you are seeking with your Contender, then see what velocity you get.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:28 PM

I'm running an 18 1/8" bl. on my HMR Martini & getting higher than book vel. with all ammo for it. I think with the squirrel, 20" will make a handy handling package and give you all you need. 10" twist should work a treat, but 9" twist will as well & cover 25's if you want to run some sub-speed loads.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

My cooper 38 has 19 1/2" ( probably advertised 20) and burns 7 grs aa9 20 vmax win spp just fine. Don't expect a lot of acrobatics with it, they just fall over. Tom.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:14 AM

I ended up ordering my barrel just over 7 weeks ago from MGM. I went with a 21.5" barrel and a 1-9 twist. I did not get the factory Bull barrel I went one step down to shed some weight. I believe it was advertised as .700" at muzzle. So far I have not got one single email update from MGM as to where my barrel is in production and they quoted me 6-8 weeks turn time. I am not holding my breath on getting it next week though. It would be a miracle if I did. I am very impatient when it comes to gun stuff in general. This wait has made me lose more hair and it added more Grey to my beard.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:10 PM

20VarTarg quote "I am very impatient when it comes to gun stuff in general."

Me too a little. Think most of us have a little of that when it comes to our hobbies.
FYI -- I've bought 4 contender bbls from MGM in the past couple of years. All showed up within the time frame they quoted. No updates or emails till the one they sent saying the barrel shipped. Could be some delays with all this virus crazy going on though. Been very happy with all I've gotten from them (I'm a Contender junkie). Looking forward to a range report when you get this project up and running.

Dave

Last edited by Old Tree; 06-19-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add content