Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Sako Quad

I'm aware this isn't a rim fire forum but do any of you Saubier guys shoot a Sako Quad Varmint? I've got a wood stocked Quad Varmint with a 17HMR barrel and a 17HM2 barrel and been thinking of adding a 22LR Lilja barrel and maybe a 22WMR. My 17hmr is just awesome combined with the 10 ounce zero creep trigger. It's defiantly accurate enough to shoot out to 200yds without lot of wind.

I was just wondering your opinion about the Quad if you own one plus what you think about Lilja barrels for them. I know if someone at Saubier has one, it's been shot a bunch and I'll get a real deal opinion before spending money on a Lilja barrel. Thanks,

BTW: I'm wanting the 22lr to shoot around my house so as not to bother the neighbors. I'll be mostly shooting CCI Quiet ammo and other ammo less than 1000fps
through it. Maybe some low power sub sonic match ammo but not a lot.

Jim D
SE Texas

Last edited by Swift220; 10-31-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:23 PM

Go for it, Jim.

My buddy Len and I use out HMR's for gophers to 200yards, chest and head hits only.

We both shoot Marlin varmint weight steel barrels. My new one struggles to make 6/10" to 3/4" at 109 yards (100meters) and will only do that with 20gr.HP's, but Len's Marlin runs .4 to .55" generally, with 17gr. Vmax's. Interestingly, both rifles do an even inch at lasered 200yards off a portable bench using bipods.

We are rarely plagued by wind.

We tried out to 240yards, but got too many crawl-offs with the Marlins. Only my Martini is consistent at out to and bit past 260yards.

Our gophers are Columbia Ground Squirrels, the largest ones (not counting the Prairie Dogs). I think Beldings and Richardon's Ground Squirrels would be pretty tough past 150, maybe 175 max.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:47 AM
Supporting Member

Years ago I bought one of the 4 barrel synthetic stock sets, and it has remained in the provided case for a lot of years. I can't remember when I shot it last, but it was either as a 22 LR or a 17 M2. It shot very well with both of those barrels

Lilja barrels are good in just about anything you want.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Supporting Member

Default Sako Quad

Hey Jim,
I ordered and purchased a Sako Quad set when they first came on the market. I've used the HMR (groundhogs) and the Mach 2 (tree squirrels) barrels mostly and have had good luck with both. I don't have experience with the barrels that Lilja makes for this gun, was often tempted to, but never had a good excuse to order one meaning the Sako barrels always have done well.
I have ordered, chambered, and shot at least 6 other Lilja barrels and love them.
I was not a big fan of the Sako synthetic stock and have since bought a factory original Quad wood stock on from I think Jim on this website.
I also put the scope on this gun that Burris made specifically for this rifle which is a 3-9X with 4 color coded zero rings on the scope designed to match the barrels by color. The barrels each have a color coded ring/band on them.
I personally feel the rifle deserves a better scope and when I do switch barrels, I always check zero again. The barrel changing is repeatable.

The Mach 2 works well on those birds that soar over our place and like to take my chickens
Stan
Old 10-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default Quads

I have 4, one in each chambering. Lucked out when Beretta sold all the single guns in their inventory to a couple retail sellers. At one time you could buy them for 400.00 on Gunbroker from a seller named Supo, he would run 20 auctions at the same time...not smart.

I love mine, no issues, accurate and easy to shoot. No experience with the Lilja, I do have a Pacnor HB in 17HMR that doesn't really shoot much better than the Sako...which is good.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Lilja? Yes!

Jim, I have an older Ruger 77/22 Mag Varmint (Lam/SS) that I installed a Lilja 17HMR barrel on. The accuracy is outstanding, especially considering this is a Ruger Rimfire action with no bolt shims.

My Anschutz 1517HB shoots a tad better, but I'm doubting any of the squirrels sent to the big alfalfa patch in the sky could tell the difference. It's a shooter, plain and simple.

I'd say go for the Lilja for your Quad with complete confidence.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM

I have the Lilja 22lr tapered barrel, which they no longer offer. It shoots better than a factory sporter barrel, but I am not sure it's $400 better. The Quads have really good barrels on them from the factory.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:58 AM

During the great sell off my LGS along with Whittakers in KY had literally hundreds of rifles, I owned three Hunters and two Synthetics, a nice light weight rifle that were almost always good shooters. The three Hunters all had good to great wood and slowly were sold off at a very tidy profit, the two Synthetic ended up part of a big trade. Lilja barrels usually out shot the factory barrels but not necessarily by a large margin. Sort of wish I'd hung on to one of the Hunters and a .17m2 barrel now but they're selling for three times what I paid back in the day.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:47 PM

Thanks guys,
I really do love my wood stocked Sako Quad. I bought an Ernie the Gunsmith light trigger spring for $6.95 and it took less than 10 minutes to put in, so easy my wife could do it, and it gave me an awesome 10oz trigger.

I love the feel, to me, of the wood varmint but not to crazy about the synthetic. Just preference I guess. I might buy both together, the LR & the WMR, but I have a carbon fiber barreled Volquartsen WMR that shoots well. My main need right now is a good 22lr so that would be my 1st choice.

Anyhow, I need another personal opinion from you guys. I can buy the Lilja for $410.00 plus shipping or I have a friend that will sell me a new in box unfired wooden stocked Sako Quad Varmint in 22LR for $960.00 and no shipping. Which way do you think is the best to go with? I could buy both Lilja's for that but it sounds awful cheap for a brand new gun and I wouldn't have to be changing out barrels. Thanks to all of you,

Jim D
SE Texas