Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-10-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift220 View Post
Rock River is running a 20% off on all their 223/5.56 complete uppers & parts right now and they have a bunch of different one's and they are shooters.

I'd buy a Rock River Arms (RRA) upper then a PSA or whatever lower you wanted. I think that would make you a much better rifle.

I guess you know this but nearly all standard service triggers are heavy pull weight and are a POS. When you can afford it, buy a RRA 2 stage varmint weight trigger and have put in whatever you buy. For $90 it is an awesome trigger.

Jim D
SE Texas
I've tried a bunch of high dollar AR triggers, all in all the RRA NM trigger parts I've used for years.

John
Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Murdochs has a sale this w/e. Ruger or S&W MP II $500. They look similar, collapsible stock, 16", flip sights.
Anyone have experience with either? Seems to me apple vs apple but you may have some input.
Check the barrel twist on whatever you buy. They can range from 14 to 7, some of which can be problematic shooting lighter or heavier bullets.

To your choices, I had an M&P and it was a well built rifle. Can't speak for the Ruger.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks, All.
Same place has Anderson bare lowers for $54 so I guess I'll just build a Burger King AR.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:48 AM

I've owned my S&W for 8 years, several thousand rounds fired, good accuracy with good ammo and so far reliable as a rock.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:14 PM

I'm one of those people after Sandy incident. I didn't quite pay $2000 but I did pay $1750 for a Rock River Coyote carbine new along with a 420 round can of ammo. Don't like it now but at the time I was a happy camper and I still have it.

Prior to that, I had bought 5 cases of Blazer 22lr ammo, cases! I sold enough bricks of that on GB that I covered the cost of my AR. My buddy had several cases of cheap PMC 55gr FMJ ammo and a guy begged him until he sold him a case for get this, $1200.00!!!

You talk about crazy times, that was it. Sorry for the post hijack.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 11-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default AR ramblings

I'm not what you would call an AR fan but I did go the eco-route when a friend with a mini 14 called me out. I chose a DPMS Oracle and bought it for around 400.00 off GB. Over the years I've owned several, built a couple and sold them all until the DPMS. I was always told that you couldn't go wrong using the rule, ABCD. Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and DPMS, you can probably add Rock River Arms to that. I've assembled my share of "Burger Kings" and while enjoyable and functional, can't say I wouldn't rather have a name brand. As for resale a Burger King is generally worth less than the value of its parts at a used price. In looking at this DPMS I have it would be hard, real hard to collect the parts and pieces and put one together for what I paid.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:14 PM

with the exception of high end brands (larue, noveske, LMT, LWRC, even BMC) I feel building your own is the best route, unless your after a no frills standard rifle. reason being is you'll save money in the long run by buying the parts you want and you won't end up with a box of take off parts that get in the way

My first AR was a dpms ap4 I payed $999+tax for that thing (which by todays standard is a sub $500 rifle) I did however make my fair share of money with other guns that ended up no likeing or were too good of a deal to pass up. bought 2 AK pistols (looked cool as hell! and I save $60 by buying two. got both for $720 with 4 mags and a case of yugoslavian ammo out the door. sold the first one a few weeks later for $800 and the other for $750 (shot maybe 90 rounds through it) kept the ammo for my SKS a year or so later I had slowly built a AR pistol buying parts on sale here and there. had close to $800 into it and sold it for $2200! the guy just had to have it (was a friend of a co-worker I let shoot it) and the best to date was a slap together franken rifle that I traded with a bushnell holo sight(first gen eotech basically) and 500 rounds of ammo for a nice 1990 toyota 4x4, lifted with decent 30x9.50's. said his HOA was giving him shit about it and wanted a rifle. all during the O admin obviously. best part, all parties were happy
Old 11-12-2017, 05:43 AM
Supporting Member

I have a friend who I talked with this evening who attended the big Wanenmacher's Tulsa Gun Show this afternoon. He told me he didn't look to see what make/model they were, but one vendor had a bunch of 16" carbine length, collapsible stock rifles with flip up sights and they were priced at $350 each.

Probably no chrome bores and chambers or any other frills, but it does point to the current AR market in general.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Supporting Member

I have heard that the Ruger is not a mil/spec gun and not all parts are I interchangeable. Son-in-law has one and said only a few parts aren't. Charlie might have more info on this.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 AM

Has anyone shot this Ruger that was linked to. My buddy is looking for an ar-15 to coyote hunt with. We hadn't seen this one before. I was wondering how accurate they were.