Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Question 22 TCM vs. FN 5.7x28 pistol opinions?

Hello all. I'm wanting to buy a small caliber pistol for home defense, to keep at my bedside. I have ALS and want a light recoiling weapon that's easy to rack. I have 45's & 357 Sigs but the loss of arm strength makes them difficult to handle. Even my small 9's are a handful.

So, I know nothing about these small caliber pistols but I like the FN best from looks and the light weight. What's your opinion on the RIA TCM or the FN FIVE-SEVEN? How about the best caliber for defense? And just so you know, I can get lots of different 5.7 ammo still even though no longer made. One thing, the cost is not a factor but handling, reliability, weight, and function is a huge factor.

Thank ya'll for any and all comments. I'm not really a big 1911 fan but I can use it fine if that's the caliber of choice. I appreciate your opinions.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 12-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Administrator

the 1911 TCM is still a pretty stiff spring to rack. I believe the 5.7 might be quite a bit easier, and of course harder to find and more expensive. That said, I have the RIA and it's a HOOT to shoot!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:42 PM

I don't have the TCM Pistol I have the TCM Rifle and I'm having quite a bit of fun trying to find a load to match or surpass the Factory Rounds Accuracy. The Pistol is definitely in my future. I was watching a lot of videos on youtube today about the pistol couldn't find any negative stuff about it and they also make a compact version with a 4" barrel.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:44 PM

I have had three, and probably will get another, 22 TCM/9mm RIA 1911.
Had one 5.7 pistol.
I prefer the 22 TCM...cartridge is a LOT stronger brass
The RIA is very accurate
It blows one heck of a fire-flame out the barrel...at night, it could be used as a signal flare!!!!
5.7 has had published issues with the cartridge and the pistol...I have not read any issues with the TCM.

All this, and I ask: why a semi-auto for self-defense if your grip is weakened, as mine is too, I use a 410 (2.5")/45 Long pistol for Home SD pistol. Many advantages of this revolver over the semi-autos....less likely to shoot through walls, More dependable function, easy to cock hammer or double-action. many options in 410 SD cartridges. My wife will readily shoot this revolver, where she does not like the hand-fit of 1911/5.7. Worth a look!

Bill
Old 12-06-2017, 08:22 PM

I'm going to go against the grain here for one reason. muzzle blast. if you touch of a 5.7 or tcm indoors you will likely disorient yourself making yourself vunerable if you don't connect on your first shots.

have you tried shooting a full sized 9mm pistol? maybe even a full steel pistol? (now the tcm with its 9mm barrel may be an option here) adding weight to a handgun can do a lot for recoil mitigation. on top of running a full sized pistol run ammo like a 147gr gold dot or hst. I feel the round shoots smoother kind of like a 45 acp. slows the recoil impulse down and the report/blast isn't as intense.

also how are you racking the slide? sling shot style? have you tried the stationary weak hand/ pushing with your strong hand approach? (example assuming a right handed with both elbows up and your hands in front of your chest like your doing a chicken impersonation cup the top of the slide with your left hand with the muzzle pointing due left and thumb pointing right and resting against your sternum then grip the gun with your right hand and push it towards the left)

this was taught to me in a gun shop. I wasn't letting the wife look at auto's as she couldn't rack the slide on my guns. so the clerk asked why I was only allowing her to look at revolvers (as she asked about one of the "cute" little autos) so as funny as it may be he put me in my place. told me she was strong enough and just needed a better teacher lol. so he grabbed the cute little auto out of the case and proceeded to show her the method above and low and behold she did it with ease. so long story short my wife now shoots a semi 9mm.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 12-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 PM

Jim, since you are considering the FN five seven have you given any consideration to the KelTec PMR30? I have both and though I'm not sure I'd consider either one a great home defense weapon, in pistol form, they are pretty comparable to one another and in some tests the 22 mag showed slightly better penetration.

Both are relatively light but the PMR30 is lighter, the FN holds 20 round where as the PMR30 holds 30. Although I typically only load mine to around 27 or 28 rounds because it'll run flawless loaded like that versus loaded to the full 30 rounds I'll occasionally get a feeding hiccup on the first couple shots if I load it to the max. The slide is much easier to rack on the KelTec and the trigger is A LOT better on the KelTec.

I really want to like my FN five seven a lot more than I do but the trigger in them isn't very good, especially, when you consider what they cost.

This is a pretty good video a guy did comparing the penetration of both the FN five seven and the 22mag out of a PMR30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmhmtJvLZQU

Also, as was mentioned earlier, both of these things a REALLY FREAKIN LOUD and there is no way I'd want to shoot one of these without ear protection unless my life depended on it.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 AM

My nightstand gun is and has always been my 38 cal 2" Revolver just plug and play
Old 12-07-2017, 05:10 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Hornady even makes Critical Defense ammo in 22 WMR, good stuff.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Jim:
There's a: 5.7, or maybe it's called: Five Seven, site.
Lot of folks have them, or did last I heard much about them.
Give it a try and see.
I bought half dozen boxes of shells from Midway when i couldn't find
brass for the VR. Then it was $20/50. I've seen it in their flyers lately too so it's still being made.

My own exp with a KelTec: they were both a POS!
Takes a small hand to just pull the trigger. My big hands I couldn't
squeeze it far enough back with the inch long (as it seemed) trigger pull.
Couldn't make it fire due to the reach I just couldn't close my hand that far down.
I had a .40, and a friend had the .380. Both were the same way.
The .380 Clyde couldn't hit anything at ten feet with it. So I tried, ended up shooting
at 5 feet and best I could hit was nearly afoot pattern. Mostly due to the long trigger pull.
Clyde had small skinny hands and could make it fire, but, still couldn't hit with it.
One of those "for sure belly guns".

You may have better luck than we did, there was 4 other guys try both guns
and they had the same problems we did. Mine found a new owner Asap.
Clyde died, so I don't know what became of his.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 12-07-2017 at 06:44 AM. Reason: fixings
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Thank you guys a lot. My neighbor wants me to try his Walther PPQ 9mm. It's fairly light and has good capacity. He told me it's pretty easy to rack and his trigger is really smooth and only 5.5#'s. Maybe with standard Gold Dot's I can handle it, we'll see.

Thanks again, I appreciate all your information.

Jim D
SE Texas