Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Ultrasonic cleaner

I got me a rcbs ultrasonic cleaner in the mail yesterday that I plan on using to clean brass and suppressor. Just wondering I anyone on here has used them and what kind of solution you use for cleaning brass.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:14 PM

I use citric acid and washing up liquid. The cases do not come out shiny like they are when coming out of the tumbler.
I once put a black moderator in the sonic cleaner...it was pale grey when it came out.
Ken.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM

I always used a solution of Simple Green and water to clean with. If you want them shiny-er then add a 1/2 teaspoon or so of Lemon Shine or other citric acid. If you want them really clean and shiny, get a rotary tumbler with SS pins. I still use the ultra sonic for small batches but the pins get a lot of use now. I hate picking corn out of flash holes.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:52 PM

I thought about trying this method it looked like it worked pretty good. Pics a little blurry but if you click on the picture it will take you to a better pic.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rocklong; 01-27-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Default Corn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
I always used a solution of Simple Green and water to clean with. If you want them shiny-er then add a 1/2 teaspoon or so of Lemon Shine or other citric acid. If you want them really clean and shiny, get a rotary tumbler with SS pins. I still use the ultra sonic for small batches but the pins get a lot of use now. I hate picking corn out of flash holes.
Corn doesn’t clean primer pockets, so, leave the depriming until after they’re tumbled.
Ken.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Corn doesn’t clean primer pockets, so, leave the depriming until after they’re tumbled.
Ken.
It gets some of the grunge out, about as much as it does from inside the case. I did that when all I had was corn and a vibratory bowl. But once I've uniformed primer pockets, I'd rather not have to do a separate step to clean them. No, it isn't critical to get the pockets sparkly clean, but neither is it to get the inside or outside of the case clean, but we do it anyway.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

The finest polished brass I've ever seen came from a guy in WA state that was on the old: Ammobrasstrader.com site years ago.
He recycled all he could get his hands on for resale to support a granddau.
Used #9 steel shot, about 20lbs of it in a cement mixer with Dawn dish soap. Just let it run 3-4 hours. dumped it out and rinsed it with a hose thru a fine enough screen all the shot came out of 'em.

I traded some .223 brass for something else he had to swap for and liked his so well. i sent him a large FR box of my .30 carbine brass to polish. I'd already sized and decapped them. Pockets and insides look like brand new only highly polished like you've never seen before. I don't recall now whether he put polish in with the soap n shot or not. He ran a bucket full of the same size at a time.

Year or two ago I got the box out and wrote him a letter. No reply. so maybe he's cashed in his chips too.

IF any of you want to try contacting him, here's the info on the shipping label.
David Gillerstrom, 15707 SE 156th St, Renton, WA 98058

Hmmmm, sounds like Trotters area. Larry, you here yet?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 01-28-2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Supporting Member

I Love the two ultrasonic cleaners I have ! I've been cleaning up a lot of 223 brass lately.
I use a few ounces of White Vinegar, a few drops of Dawn (Blue). and hot tap water. I follow that with Hot tap water, and a half Teaspoon of Baking soda. Lastly a bath in plain Hot tap water.

This does not give them the Polished look, but you can see the inside is clean. And that is my goal ! This does a great job of cleaning Primer pockets also !.

Jim
Old 01-28-2018, 03:43 PM

That’s what I was looking for. Thank Jim
Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 PM

George, a quick google search came up with the the name: Khachik Najaryan at that address. I think that I can say that your friend doesn't live there anymore. Burt