Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-20-2018, 03:00 PM

Default 17HMR/17 WSM No.1

I ran into a sale on 17 WSM rimfire ammo, so bought a couple of boxes. Of course, I do not currently have a rifle for the WSM or the HMR. So I start thinking..........

I have done 22lr and 17hm2 rimfires on the No.1 action. The WSM is larger in diameter than the HMR(and 22lr). I dreamed of a switch barrel No.1 in HMR and WSM. I am not too sure about the WSM staying around, but the 3000 fps number is enticing; looks like the HMR is pretty stable ammo wise.

I have a lot of 17 centerfire wildcats on No.1's, so just wanting something different, and the HMR/WSM fits that bill for me.

The No.1 firing pin is about 0.073" in diameter. I think lowering the firing pin position in the breechblock about 0.120" will allow ignition of the HMR and WSM with appropriate barrels of course. I think that lowering the firing pin within the breechblock is the best approach, having tried the other two methods and failing miserably.

The old rimfire blade extractor would be utilized like most rimfires, hard to improve on the millions of them in use today. Fully supported chambers for safety sake as well.

I have heard that the WSM takes a firm firing pin hit, I think that the No.1 firing pin will do ok.

I was thinking if anywhere, this is the place where an oddity that I cannot buy; would have been done here before.

Anyone played around with the no.1 in the WSM or HMR yet?

Shilen blanks under the couch await, along with a 357mag rifle donor. I have not come across anything that tells me it won't work, but there always can be a gremlin in the pile that one misses.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Supporting Member

The WSM sounds more appealing to me in the #1. Sounds like a fun project! Can’t speak as to how long it’ll be around though.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 AM

I hear you on the WSM staying around. The 3000 fps is still calling, kinda like the Harpies in the old time stories. The HMR seems pretty stable, so an extra barrel would cover that some. I suspect no real good reason for such an animal, but guess that still does not carry much weight with me now....

I figure if I really chamber to the WSM, that if it goes away, I can always refit the barrel with a rechamber to centerfire something or other, and finish cutting the ejector slot for centerfire. Maybe just make that A&M Javelina I hear about from time to time.

Still crawdaddying a bit on the project, but have the HMR & WSM reamers(17 Javelina as well), barrels etc etc ready to go. I seem to run in circles anymore on No.1 calibers.

thanks for the comment, hope the new hotrod 22 goes good.

Rick
Old 03-22-2018, 07:10 AM

I would not move the firing pin placement unless you have issues. The ideal firing pin placement on the rim is not on the edge of the rim where most are hit. I know the H&R hands rifle works well with a stronger spring so I would think the #1 should work well.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 PM

I like the rimfire hit at 6 oclock just inside the rim's edge, ie the hit stays inside of the outer perimeter of the rim. Just one opinion there.

The WSM is about 0.330" or so across, so the firing pin movement is downward in my case, with a bit of compromise on the HMR hit(just out of the perimeter of the HMR) but just inside of the WSM. Guess one could do two bushings, one for each caliber, but trying to keep it simplified and do both cals.

I probably will shorten the centerfire firing pin a little to rimfire specs, but retain the diameter. Might have to read a little on the WSM to see if it is a bit different or not.

Like to get a Jard one piece trigger for it, it has the three screw factory adjustment trigger in it now; and get rid of the multi-link take up stuff, but just dreaming......one thing at a time.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:10 AM

Default very interesting project....

I like the way you think Rick.Just reread the post I inadvertently put in the Load Data thread.I hope you do this project.
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 03-26-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:47 PM

I appreciate the optimism, might just happen...........getting to feel like the lone arranger a bit, but nothing new there; just have to apply myself and get to it.

One thing about No.1's centerfire firing pin hit, I cannot say they are all alike in that regard, some are lower/higher than absolute bore line, might be because of the grinding on the lifting arm top(?), anyway.......I measure each action, then use a stepped bushing that takes out the entire oem firing pin cavity. At times I will use an offset hole in the bushing for precisely fitting the oem firing pin hit to the rim of the case.

Always thought it was interesting that the oem had an access hole in the back of the block for boring the firing pin criteria, really have to look close for the plug on most breechblocks.

So far I have used Loctite 620 for the bushing securing. This one I might experiment with a threaded affair with a milder adhesive, just to see how that goes. I can always go back to my old ways with a Loctite retainer; if I fail miserably with that approach.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:03 AM
Supporting Member

Default don't do it......and....

..... just sell that No.1 in 357 mag to me.... !
Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 PM

The 357 mag No.1 that I have was for shooting at an indoor range. After a while, one tires of it; not sure why that is. A bit more fun with 38 special, but was a specialized environment to shoot in. I later built a 45acp version that is still enjoyable, but of course, bullet prices are up over the 38 cal; have to admit the holes are easier to see. Things come and go here, I know later on I probably will want a 357 to shoot, so will just lay the 357 barrel in the pile taped(marked) on where it went.

Really a pistol caliber, rimmed or rimless, is a flick of the wrist with the No.1 action. Most times if you use your head, no forearm mods are required to fit like the oem setups in the A or B series. Starting to think about the 32 S&W or perhaps the 30 Luger on one of the No.1 mules, but another story. Kinda fickle here huh?

There are some days where, just not in the mood for picking up brass; hence the rimfire attempts on a rifle that I like. I really think Ruger could offer a rimfire version easily, but guess the dollars are not there for the bean counters, just an opinion of course.

Last edited by rick w.; 03-27-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:44 PM

And it would not be on the high end of the WSM price list!