Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-18-2018, 02:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default 15.5 NTX 17 Caliber

Living in California, and having it be easier said than done when people suggest I move to solve the problem, I periodically contact Hornady and Speer asking them to release the 15.5 NTX or the 16gr Green TNT as components and to Nosler asking if they have any plans to extend their lead free line to 17caliber.

Yesterday's message to Hornady:"After July of 2019, lead free bullets are required to shoot game in California. I enjoy shooting my 17 Hornady Hornet at ground squirrels, but I reload and factory loaded ammo is too expensive for this purpose. Are there any plans to make the 15.5 NTX available as components or any method to buy them bulk or do I simply need to change to 20 caliber? Thanks, Drew "

got this response:"Drew, We have had this question several times and we may have to reevaluate the demand on this bullet. We produce a lot of these bullets for the 17 HMR and Hornet along with the Mach II. As of right now we still don't have a plan to release the projectile, but with enough pressure on this we may have to get this out to the demands. Sorry"

Hornady I am sure produces the most, and would be the most likely to offer these as components. If you have any interest in these bullets (or even if you don't) please consider going to the site and asking for them.

go here, then click on product support and technical product questions and it will bring up an email contact form.
https://www.hornady.com/contact/

Plan B ( or maybe plan A) is to move to 20 calibers and I am well under way for that, but I would like the option to still shoot 17's.

Thanks,
Drew

Last edited by drewh; 07-18-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:18 PM

The little .17's are fun and I have a few, but I'd have to say I am more partial to the .20's and if you were to decide on something with small case capacity for the lighter bullets, Hornady has their 24gr NTX available.

I'm actually considering re-barreling one of my CZ 17 Hornets to a 20HH to specifically shoot those 24gr NTX bullets. They should give a pretty good splat factor on ground squirrel size critters.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 Viper

When this first got going I had a 17 viper, had purchased Foxhunter's reamer, and had a lot of info on it. I took that info and had a reamer made for a 20 caliber version with the 24 NTX in mind. I am currently working on loads. A load of LT-30 in the mid 16's gives me right at 3600 with good accuracy. I have loads set up all the way to 17 grains to test for pressure signs and accuracy.
Drew
Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the link

It would be great for some non california members to spend a minute submitting a request also

I won't hold my breath, but it would be great to get some of these. I have a few 17's, like a Sako 17 Javalena I'm contemplating selling for this reason.

Allen
Old 07-18-2018, 03:50 PM

I think the 17's, particularly the ones with larger case capacity, are a little more finicky than are the .20's. Probably not a great deal of difference between the two in a Hornet size case though. The 20gr 17cal Vmax is a pretty small little bullet to load, I can only imagine what those little 15.5's would be like.

I'm not familiar with the 17 Viper, what is it?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Default light 17 caliber bullets

Check Reeds they recently started making a 15 grain hollow point and a 17.2 grain soft point.

I have been shooting the 17.2s and have a bag of 15 grainers - give them a try.

This business of hoping to obtain blemish Hornady's is not to my liking, I need a consistently available bullet source.

Hats off to Reeds for paying attention to the what the consumers needs/wants.

John
Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 PM

By all means, keep bugging Hornaday. At the same time, I have to wonder if a smaller manufacturer would not be more responsive to your request. Needless to say, if a bullet to your liking is released, stock up as best you can.

If you decide to go to a 20, don't forget to consider the super neat VarTarg!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Supporting Member

Viper info from the originator
http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I think the 17's, particularly the ones with larger case capacity, are a little more finicky than are the .20's. Probably not a great deal of difference between the two in a Hornet size case though. The 20gr 17cal Vmax is a pretty small little bullet to load, I can only imagine what those little 15.5's would be like.

I'm not familiar with the 17 Viper, what is it?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default Lead Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholp View Post
Check Reeds they recently started making a 15 grain hollow point and a 17.2 grain soft point.

I have been shooting the 17.2s and have a bag of 15 grainers - give them a try.

This business of hoping to obtain blemish Hornady's is not to my liking, I need a consistently available bullet source.

Hats off to Reeds for paying attention to the what the consumers needs/wants.

John
John,
They need to be lead free.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
By all means, keep bugging Hornaday. At the same time, I have to wonder if a smaller manufacturer would not be more responsive to your request. Needless to say, if a bullet to your liking is released, stock up as best you can.

If you decide to go to a 20, don't forget to consider the super neat VarTarg!
I don't think a smaller manufacturer will take the effort to make a lead free, the irritating part is that both Hornady and Speer make lead free 17's already, but they want you to buy their loaded ammo. I am sure it's just economics, there just isn't that big of a market for them.

I haven't forgotten the 20 VT, and Nosler makes a really interesting 32 grain lead free, they run quite a bit more than the 24 NTX though.

Drew