Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 PM

http://webpages.charter.net/Rodgervich/Paul/skeeter.htm

Similar to what you're looking for but 17 cal.

Aaron
Old 03-21-2018, 02:37 AM
Supporting Member

Here you all go: 5.75mm Velo Dog

http://www.fiocchi.com/en/category/p.../line/old-time

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...50-rds?a=92045

Just gotta love the history.

http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Velo-Dog_Revolver

Is also listed Cartridges of the World.

Michael.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 AM

Stock No. 15222:•Caliber: 5.75 Velo Dog
•For Gun Type: 1894 Velo Dog Revolver
•Bullet Style: MC
•Grain Wt.: 43
•F.P.S.: 730
•Ft.-lbs.: 325

pretty close to kicking 9mm to the dust heap. gotta love advertising....

the cricket if its the 25acp necked down to 22 as on that other site, is going to need lathe work.

The 22 squirrel is awfully cute and interesting, but just how much case life does it have at full power? That shoulder just looks janky.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 AM

The Old Redneck, member here as much knowledge and experience with small cf and rimfire cases and small cal bullets.
Regards,Ken.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
Stock No. 15222:•Caliber: 5.75 Velo Dog
•For Gun Type: 1894 Velo Dog Revolver
•Bullet Style: MC
•Grain Wt.: 43
•F.P.S.: 730
•Ft.-lbs.: 325

pretty close to kicking 9mm to the dust heap. gotta love advertising....

the cricket if its the 25acp necked down to 22 as on that other site, is going to need lathe work.

The 22 squirrel is awfully cute and interesting, but just how much case life does it have at full power? That shoulder just looks janky.
all are going to need lathe work to do it right. yes you could re-chamber by hand but if accuracy with cb level loads are what your after why chance getting a out of round chamber by doing it by hand? yes the cricket would require a setback if that's what your implying.

I don't personally own a 22 squirrel but as far as the shoulder is concerned it looks no different than a 22k hornet shoulder. I would assume case life to be similar.

now you mentioned "full power" with the squirrel. now your venturing into a danger zone. I would not exceed the factory bolt thrust levels of a savage Rascal unless you want to flirt with Murphy. 22lr is 24k psi but the rim diameter of the hornet is larger so max psi will be less to obtain equal bolt thrust levels. the Hornet operates at 47K psi which will almost likely end up with a KB out of a rascal or most rimfire actions for that matter.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:10 PM

A rechambered 22 rim fire barrel was the original intent, but with a few minor manufacturing issues that I see popping up at the moment, a hornet/223 based case wouldn't be too bad as I don't believe it would be to hard to find a used one laying around a pawnshop. bolts just aren't popular these days.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Gotcha! heck you can even buy brand new bolts for a touch over $200 right now with all the rebates floating around then have the barrel set back/rechambered for a little more.

Once I get situated and we get the die situation settled 233_short and I were planning on offering setback/rechambers on savage .223's for a reasonable price.

There is a thread floating around on here about the cartridge. with the armscor 40gr bullet and 3.5gr of titegroup were getting 22mag velocities with minimal report and good accuracy. I haven't tried going all the way down to CB levels yet. I do have a 55gr casting mold that I was going to try at subsonic speeds but just can't find the time to get around to it.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
Gotcha! heck you can even buy brand new bolts for a touch over $200 right now with all the rebates floating around then have the barrel set back/rechambered for a little more.

Once I get situated and we get the die situation settled 233_short and I were planning on offering setback/rechambers on savage .223's for a reasonable price.

There is a thread floating around on here about the cartridge. with the armscor 40gr bullet and 3.5gr of titegroup were getting 22mag velocities with minimal report and good accuracy. I haven't tried going all the way down to CB levels yet. I do have a 55gr casting mold that I was going to try at subsonic speeds but just can't find the time to get around to it.
IS it possible to do a .223 short upper for an AR? or is that going completely into the world of "special production run barrels with lots of extra fees involved"?

I have seen folks jury rig 10/22 magaiznes to do odd ball things, so I wouldn't see MUCH besides length issues with a standard 10/22 although a 22magnum version would be more usefull.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 AM

Nor Cal Mikie,
I found the article I was talking about.

Quote:
Just thought i would give all of you some eye candy for a little project ive been working on.

Ive been shooting some NRA prone smallbore matches for a few years now. I use it for crosstraining for highpower Prone @ 1000 yards and in. Ive come to the conclusion that the 22LR case is really at the mercy of the wind at anything past 50 Meters. So to get an advatage over my fellow smallbore shooters, I have been experamenting with some new bullet/powder combos to see if I can market this little jem.

In the picture you will see the first successful attempt to create a wind cheating uber ultra rimfire round.

Here are the specs.

Eley primed, 22 Short brass

3 grams C-4, Hence the use of the 22 Short case, Dont ask how I know?

80 Match King bullet sorted by weight, and base to Ogive.

Jumping the bullet .009 off the lands.

The rifle is my 1600 series Anchutz with one new locking lug welded on to handle the extra pressure.

Dave Kiff refused to make me a chamber reamer, so I made my own from a drive axle off a 1970 Hemi Road Runner., they are high in nickel)

Turns out that this last batch of C-4 is a little slower burning,igniting) and works really well with the new short Eley case.

Velocity is a respectable 2600fps with as SD of 6. I think some messing around with the neck tension could get the SD down even farther.

I cant wait to debute this baby this spring in the monthly 100 yard prone match.

Next plan is to neck it down to 20 cal and shoot the big 50gr Bergers. I might have to turn necks to get it to work. I havnt figured that part out yet. Boy winters get long and my mind just races with ideas.

Patend pending so dont get any ideas of pulling the carpet from under me. ; )

Hope all is well with you.

Russ Theurer

Pete
Old 03-22-2018, 12:20 PM

come again? 2600 ft/sec from a 22 short rimfire case? c-4 as in the explosive compound aka plastic explosive?

pocketshaver I'm dabbling in those waters as well with my SBR

still ironing things out. broke a bit in the barrel drilling the gas port so on hold till I figure out how to get it out without enlarging the hole
did test fire it and with the 6" barrel I'm getting 2650-2700 ft/sec with a 40gr bullet! absolutely blew my goal of 2400 out of the water.
I'll be using ppsh 43 mags to feed the shorty's and plan to try standard mags with the 80gr subsonic's. they hand cycle so hoping it will work.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 03-22-2018 at 02:58 PM.