Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-19-2018, 01:05 PM

Default Baffle strike

Had a baffle strike on my suppressor sometime. I went to clean it and I seen this. I think it come from chunks of built up carbon in front of the bullet path. I have a 6 mm creedmoor with a 22” barrel that seems to make a mess inside the suppressor. Stuff falls down barrel and plugs the chamber so you can’t load a round. I’m gonna have to try a different powder or something. The wierd thing is I have another 6mm creedmoor with a 26” barrel that I have no problems with using the exact same powder bullet combo.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Hi,
Sounds unusual for carbon/burnt powder residue build up to cause a srike like that.
I’ve been using a non-modular (Can’t dismantle it) reflex mod. for last 4 years and i sometimes push a barrel cleaning brush through it just to make sure nothing is building up that might restrict the bullet pathway. Not that it’s ever looked like it needed doing.
Could your mod have taken a knock to move it out of alinement?
I did have one mod that made groups look like shotgun patterns. Sussed out it was because the alloy mod was badly gas cut inside and this must have been having an adverse effect on the bullets going through the mod.
Never leave moderators on barrels when you’ve finished shooting. Heard stories and seen two first hand were mods were left on barrels in gun safes and moisture mixed with chemicals? Corrodes the crown, and sometimes seeps down the barrel and causes pitting.
Plus, they become mighty hard to unscrew if left on for long periods.
All this sounds like common sense, but, you’d be surprised how many barrels need attention through leaving mods on.
Not suggesting You’ve done this Rocklong. Just sayin.
Ken.