Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

I have 3 K-Hornets (Hornet, K-Hornet doesn't really matter for this discussion), the 2 that get shot are a Cooper 38 Varmint in the laminated stock, and an Anschutz 1730 with trigger lightened an K'd by Evelio McDonald. Based on feedback here, I switched to AA1680 this year with 40 V-Max and Varmageddon bullets. Velocity isn't as high as with LG or 300MP, but the rifles have both behaved much better with these loads and accuracy moved down to .2 - .3" territory. Just got back from my annual PD shoot and we killed a lot of PD's out to about 250 with the K-Hornets. I am a single shot kinda guy and don't want an ejector because I don't want to be chasing that precious brass. The Cooper actually will out-shoot the Anschutz by a little and suits my tastes better of the 2. I find it kinda tricky to feed those long rounds into the Anny and the trigger isn't as crisp as the Cooper. My problem with the Cooper is that bolt operation is kinda clunky, I think this is a result of the steep cocking cam and that there is a bolt fit problem with my particular rifle, i.e. the bolt is a bit hard to lift and when shoved forward on a fresh round there is resistance as the locking lugs pass through the action ring and go into battery. What I would like to have is a rifle that is easy to load single shot, has smoothe bolt operation and a good trigger, like the many Remington pattern custom triggers. I have considered rebarreling one of my Dakota Predator/Varminter rifles to K-Hornet, but don't know whether the extraction would work. I appreciate everyone's thoughts thus far and look forward to any other comments. Thanks, Joe
Old 07-03-2019, 04:26 PM

Years ago I acquired a BRNO Fox in 22 hornet. Never shot it after all those years of wanting one, kinda weird huh? Was into competition shooting back in the early 70's-90's, so was always traveling or competing during the season. Still have the BRNO new in the box oddly enough. Thought it should of had double set triggers, but the factory did not seem to think that way; always rubbed me the wrong way, as they pictured said rifle with double set.

In the coming years, I looked at the Anschutz 54 sporters and even wandered over to the Coopers a time or two; just to look. Really liked the 54 sporter but being a lefty, had to find one without the big rollover, fairly scarce I found.

Then came the No.1's in hornet, probably acquired a dozen or so of them, red pads, black pads, short and long versions. I have shot them, kinda like shooting a rimfire, all you really notice is the hammer falls with muffs. Have converted a few to 17 wildcats, bumble bee, Khornet, and even a 17 remington. Someday will have a 17 Javelina but time is always short here.

Finally figured out what 22 hornet did it for me, a pre64 model 70 in 22 hornet. A full sized rifle that feels like one. Not a high quality group thing here, but most shots are 100yds or less due to environments I live in. Kinda matches my hunting 300 H&H's and 264's.

Have now a 22 Khornet barrel in the pre64 contour, along with one in 17 Khornet. One of those switch barrel things, just had to have extra barrels, but all in being fair, the 22 khornet seems to stay on.

I favor something that I can have a hand in making up, I could just display a wad of cash and buy whatever, whatever..............but the fun in that has diminished here. The bought rifles are very fine, a lot of fine makers out there, even in the semi custom area;

everyone needs a hornet a time or two during their life.......
Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Supporting Member

S-Joe, have you looked at the cone nose SA Kiff bolts in Hornet bolt face. In a solid bottom Rem SA it might do what you want. I've come very close to ordering one several times to make a 17 Squirrel out of. I built the 17 and 20 Boomer using Kiff cone nose bolts and I can toss a loaded round in and close the bolt. They are 1.025 cases.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:23 AM

Thumbs up 22 Hornet......

My Kimber Of Oregon "S" Series 22 Hornet comes to mind.

Kevin
Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Supporting Member

Top is a Cooper varminter .17 MachIV, 2nd. is a Cooper Montana Varminter .22 K-Hornet that is now a .20 Killer Bee. Third is one of my favorite varmint rifles that would be one of my last to go, Anschutz Model 1730 Meister Grade .22 Hornet. My personal Hornet Dream gun. It is the rifle that started my descent into small caliber madness.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Supporting Member

Being left handed there aren't many choices but if I could I'd take a Anschutz Exemplar in 22 Hornet, fit a 22" .17 Lilja barrel and a NZ Walnut L/H meister grade stock.

Chambered in 17 Ackley Hornet would do my just fine.

Left hand bolt actions in Hornet are few and far between...……..Kiwi
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Since you said 'dream" gun, Blaser K95 Comtessa. Very happy with my Savage 40 and my poor mans Cooper H&R handi rifles. I really would like a Browning A bolt some day.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:56 AM
Supporting Member

Just a FYI about Hornet actions. Ray suggested a coned bolt from Pacific Precision to make up a Remington short action for a Hornet. I agree that it sounds good, but I have been fighting a Nesika custom in Hornet for the last few weeks which has a coned bolt action. I might be wrong but after working on this rifle my opinion is that there isn't any way to set proper headspace on this type action. Coned bolt actions feed like a dream, but in this case, just not the correct thing, so I am going to convert it to a 5.7 Johnson/Spitfire. The Spitfire brass almost fits the bolt so it will only have to be opened up a few thousandths, and I had already planned to send that bolt and one other to Greg Tannel for some minor work. As far as an ideal Hornet, I keep thinking about having one of my Dakota bolts modified to Hornet boltface and build from there.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 PM

I like my CZ 527 Hornets, a Lux and FS a lot. They are accurate and easy to load for. I was able to visit a friend in Florence yesterday and shot my current favorite, an 1885 Browning in 22 Hornet. I also have an Encore rifle barrel and Contender carbine barrel, both are shooters. It is hard to not like the 22 Hornet. OOPS, forgot the T/C G2 12" pistol barrel, another shooter.
Bill
Old 08-10-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmoose View Post
I like my CZ 527 Hornets, a Lux and FS a lot. They are accurate and easy to load for. I was able to visit a friend in Florence yesterday and shot my current favorite, an 1885 Browning in 22 Hornet. I also have an Encore rifle barrel and Contender carbine barrel, both are shooters. It is hard to not like the 22 Hornet. OOPS, forgot the T/C G2 12" pistol barrel, another shooter.
Bill

Yep, hard to beat the little 1885 Hornet...........I love mine as well.