Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-31-2019, 06:59 AM
Supporting Member

Default Question For Macinist/Smiths

I have still got the bee in my bonnet for a single shot break action 5mm rem rimfire. also really like the look of the Henri single shot's but unfortunately they don't do a rimfire

So, would it be an easy job for a smith to take a Henri and make it it work on rimfire cases?

Also Lowell mentioned the "stubbing"way of doing things but how about a 20 cal barrel with bottom attachment welded or silver soldered ?

Johno

Last edited by johno; 08-31-2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2019, 11:31 AM

Anything can be done. How much money do you have?
Old 08-31-2019, 01:40 PM

Lots of ways to do this obviously. Just a flunky here.

Some methods are more intense than others in effort and possible dollars. Depends on equipment you have or have not got, same with experience level of doing such.

So in general, conversions can touch the firing pin area(movement on back of brass case), extractor/ejector recut(easier to go up cutting off smaller case) than down(welding/recutting), & barrel/chamber position.

Typically for me not knowing a lot, I would think moving the firing pin in the block area is one of the more difficult methods/$. Not only have to move, the support holes but also the control surfaces. The rifles mentioned are fairly integral in nature, meaning can be harder to set up on machines...

Would be nice to cut a rimfire extractor up to the new size of the 5mm when chambering.

Shanking technique to replace said barrel. 5mm, which I think is the today's 20 cal barrel blank, can be procured; but probably in the 200 range. In a quicky looksee at 5mm liners, did not see one.

With some of the above thought about a few minutes, it would see logical that one could consider doing an offset chambered shanked barrel on a rimfire support frame. Offset of chamber to threads/OD is not too bad, takes a larger lathe than most have because the barrel goes all the way thru spindle. Does not have to offset a lot with say 22lr to 5mm, but the clearance of the barrel in the 4 jaw chuck has to clear the spindle as well. I would rather offset the barrel stub itself rather than the action stub.

Just a fleeting thought.

If the rifle was a Ruger No1, I would have no hesitation to do the movement of the firing in in the breechblock, just because of certain physical aspects of the action proper, ie the block comes out of the action and is easily located on your equipment.

fwiw

Last edited by rick w.; 08-31-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:26 PM

was going to mention the offset chamber method above being one of the simpler solutions, there is one more thing that may be necessary. rimfire's do best with a rectangular firing pin, not sure if the factory rounded pin would be suffice.

I fixed a friends revolver years back by just re-profiling the pin. It would missfire more often than not. The firing pin had been rounded off from dry firing it over the years. worked great after squaring it up and flattening the face back.

ETA: Looked at a TC rimfire pin and it's still round yet has a flat face so maybe you could get away with just flattening the tip of the pin.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 08-31-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 PM

Round and rectangular firing pins in rimfire actions(rifle and pistol) have been used successfully for generations. The latter is just more forgiving with tolerancing on the hit onto the brass. Always firearm tolerances that can get on you in manufacturing if stacked the wrong way. The round usually does not feature a recess in the barrel, as the hit is inside the rim. The rectangular or blade type usually has the recess as the pin overruns the rim....usually.

When I do a rimfire No.1, I just reuse the factory centerfire pin; but I am touchy about where it hits inside the rim line. Sometimes will shorten the pin's nose about 10 for rimfire useage, but in the no.1, really just a moot point.

Firing pin nuances are often overlooked to be sure...............

One does not often see the offset shank method used lot, perhaps the extra diameter of barrel gets them or just not keeno method. In some environments does take away a lot of extra work necessary for the function of the day. Careful measurements of the particular action/barrel location will pay dividends in firing pin hit.........I like just inside the rim, no recess necessary with that placement.

fwiw.

Last edited by rick w.; 08-31-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:33 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the input fellas, looks like it would run into a costly operation. Fingers crossed maybe Henry will bring out a rimfire would be nice to have on in 22 magnum

Johno
Old 08-31-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Thanks for the input fellas, looks like it would run into a costly operation. Fingers crossed maybe Henry will bring out a rimfire would be nice to have on in 22 magnum

Johno
Not putting the Henry line of rifles down by any means, but from what I have read/heard a decent TC contender is more accurate than the single shot Henry, and barrels are available for the TC's in rf and even in a 5mm, so I read on posts and in articles. Bill K
Old 08-31-2019, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

Bill, that would be my preferred way to go but I would need to find one of those 5mm contenders that were sold over there and import it, very costly and with the aussie dollar down the tube very, very expensive both for purchase and import

Johno
Old 08-31-2019, 11:38 PM

I understand. Laws sure make it hard on the honest gun owner, along with the greater cost to own and enjoy a fine sport and hobby. Bill K