Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-22-2014, 08:45 PM

Your right Georgeld just shooting a few animals isn't a very accurate way of testing a bullet and its performance on Pred... It seems with the plastic tip bullets you need to match the vel. along with the distance you shoot the most to find what works the best.. I'm one of the fast and flat type of guys and in most cases the plastic tip bullets just don't get the job done the way it should be. A surface splash is a surface splash and if it does it once on a coyote its going to happen again. To me just one splash is too much and won't bother using that bullet again and still don't if I can find another bullet type and weight that does a better job. H,P. and soft points seems to work the best on an over all scale at varies speeds and distances and I talk from experience and not something I heard or read on the net.
Had a funny thing happen this year as far as bullet performance goes, a member in my hunting group shot a coyote at 200-400 yds, not sure of exact distance, he hit the coyote good but it didn't go down for long and was back up and running. Another member of group then shot the coyote with his rifle and finished it off. When the skinner was skinning out the coyote he found a bullet intact and just under the hide with no tissue damage what's so ever. Bullet turned out to be a 22 cal. plastic tip fired from a 223 of which the first shooter was using.. Not good in my book.LOL

Here is a coyote shot by a 204 that would of fetched around 50.00 if the bullet would of done its job the first time around.

You use a crappy bullet you will have crappy results.

The larger cal. plastic tip bullets are built a little tougher so you can get by with using them on coyotes but anything in 22 cal or smaller is best left for shooting prairie dogs.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
........... It seems with the plastic tip bullets you need to match the vel. along with the distance you shoot the most to find what works the best.. I'm one of the fast and flat type of guys and in most cases the plastic tip bullets just don't get the job done the way it should be. A surface splash is a surface splash and if it does it once on a coyote its going to happen again................. ..........You use a crappy bullet you will have crappy results.
Very good observations and comments...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
The larger cal. plastic tip bullets are built a little tougher so you can get by with using them on coyotes but anything in 22 cal or smaller is best left for shooting prairie dogs.
Prairie dogs.......... That is exactly what they are designed for.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-23-2014, 04:18 PM

I have always had the best luck with large hollow points. Other success have come from Sierra match bullets.

Tags
.204 ruger, bullets, fur, varmint