Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-22-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Help! Need bore guide for cooper 38

I have literally spent the last hour searching all over the web in search of a Cooper Model 38 Bore Guide for a 20 VarTarg and 17AH. Seems as though Possom Hollow and Shooter's Supply are no longer in business. There are a couple "universal" guides out there but nothing concrete that says they will work with a Cooper Model 38. Can anyone lead me in the right direction??? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
I have literally spent the last hour searching all over the web in search of a Cooper Model 38 Bore Guide for a 20 VarTarg and 17AH. Seems as though Possom Hollow and Shooter's Supply are no longer in business. There are a couple "universal" guides out there but nothing concrete that says they will work with a Cooper Model 38. Can anyone lead me in the right direction??? Thanks in advance.
Possum Hollow #9 should work. Will work up to 22 caliber.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...low-bore-guide

PS: Compatibility chart follows.

https://media.mwstatic.com/productdo...it%20Chart.pdf

If you want a solvent port.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/34...caliber-delrin

Last edited by JohnHenry; 06-22-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:10 PM

One might consider how a bore guide can be built. If the brush goes thru the guide, then the support of the moving brush rod is not much at the throat. Most will have o-ring noses, keeps the solvent in the barrel if the rifle is tilted in the cradle barrel down. Might as well as have gravity work for you too.

One might consider the Lucas guide, tis a two piece; one piece is for solvent application and the other part is for a snug fit on the rod of the day. The guide will have a brush release area in the chamber area.

I heard that Sinclair offers something similar to the Lucas two piece but never had one myself. I also hear both will ask for the specific rod to be used for diameter fwiw.

More money than the 5 dollar barrel wearers, but some think it is worth keeping the rod off the throat as best one can.

custom gunsmiths usually make two piece bore guide systems as part of the custom rifle package. Some prefer white delrin, some like the black delrin. Black machines easier but not as slick as the white as to basic material.

Last edited by rick w.; 06-22-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:52 PM

I have a couple of the Sinclair bore guides, and they work fine. Since Brownell's bought Sinclair, look at their website. Several years ago, I picked up one of my Sinclair's at Bruno's while on vacation. You might check them also.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:19 PM

I got a Lucas bore guide for my Cooper Model 38 Hornet. It is great, and the best bore guide I have used. The other bore guides I have used are the old Sinclar, pre Brownells, of which I have more than a few. The Lucas is better as it is a two piece, one piece being a bushing to fit the rod diameter, which plugs into the main part of the bore guide. The Sinclair types do not have the bushing and are a looser fit on the rod. I am thinking of modifying my existing Sinclair types to be a two piece model.

Lucas Bore Guide Cooper Model 38 22 Hornet:
http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=...463724671a9ab5

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.

Last edited by Danny; 06-22-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 PM

When I got my two Cooper 38's in .17 AH and .218 MB I searched for proper bore guides. I ended up getting the Lucas bore guides and they are exactly what I needed. The only thing I had to do was increase the angle on the body of the guide to make it easier to push the ejector pin down out of the way when I install them.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:44 PM

I agree, Mike Lucas, lucasmjb@windstream.net
Old 06-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Best to check but I read somewhere that Mike Lukas' bore guide business is in hiatus.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:24 PM

I heard that as well, slowing down some; maybe trying to retire out perhaps.

The sinclair is similar but not seen one in the flesh. The basics would have to be there for most to buy.

The basic solid old time benchrest design is there; sometimes you just have to depend on yourself.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Another place to check on a bore guide, is with Brad and Small caliber Club site, he may still be making them. Bill K