Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 09-15-2019, 02:48 AM

Default Just A Tad Off Topic 445 Super Mag ?

Was looking at this caliber, why I don't know. Did buy a set of Redding 445 Dies last night devil Not a big fan of the heavy hitters anymore, but nevertheless I noticed something I found interesting. Thinking about a 15 inch Contender barrel with brake. Not sure what bullet weight I will use. MGM list the only twist available as 1/20 and Bullberry list 1/14 or 1/16. I understand the heavier bullets need faster twist but I found this odd. Opinions or experience with either would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Doug
Old 09-15-2019, 04:38 AM

Doug: Are you just after and heavy handgun type caliber and/or need a straight walled case for hunting in your area/state ?
How about a nice contender barrel, 15 inch and ported/braked in 375 JDJ ?
I have one in handgun and one in carbine length and they are great shooting calibers, for deer and a whole lot of other large critters. Bill K
Old 09-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Bill,
Don't really need it for anything (already have a 375 JDJ my first custom barrel) just have always been intrigued by this caliber. Got the dies at a good price and I don't need much of an excuse to buy a new barrel. Leaning toward the BB due to twist offered but just wanted to see what others thought. hope life is treating you well
Thanks
Doug
Old 09-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Understand Doug, same reason I have some of the various set ups I have, wants take over needs sometimes. For a old guy, doing okay. Hope all is well at your end. Bill K
Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 PM

A while back, I too..........just had to have a 445 Supermag. Dan Wesson was up and running well, their prowess on the steel shooting events well known. Elgin Gates was heavy into the sport and developed some enhanced cartridges for 200yd rams.

I bought a Dan Wesson revolver in 10" 445 supermag and 200 rounds of brass from that group of guys. The brass is actually marked "445 Gates", came in 4 red MTM boxes per. Dan Wesson's typically shoot very well, and was a fine pistol. I never got really hot in load, about half way up with H4227 was about it back then for me, but that was probably 2x of what I had been using before in more conventional cases. Likewise never got into the super heavy bullets, fickle kid went on to other things even though the case was built for speed/weight.

The RCBS dies worked well. I had heard that early 445 mags in prototype were 1.8" cases but the released stuff is all 1.6" I believe.

All of these cases were beefed up in the web. My 375 supermag uses 375 winchester brass cut off some. My favorite is the 357 supermag or Max as known today. The 414 has not been procured yet..

I remember reading probably a Shooting Times magazine article on these new calibers/revolvers of the day.........they showed a Dan Wesson prototype revolver in 7-08 remington, talk about a longish cylinder, thrilled me the new kid to death but never was produced I do not think.

If one ever gets to shoot a Dan Wesson, they really shoot well.....rimfire thru the supermags.....worth the rough spots and having.

Now I hope I do not find that elusive 32-20...............

Enjoy the 445, a bit different than just heavy increases in pressure; brass is from Starline.......