Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-07-2019, 02:02 PM

I I am more apt to find a unicorn than one gun, but "if" such a thing was real, which it's not, probably a 6X.223 on a Sako 85SS SS with a 20" threaded #6 fluted, nitrided 1-8 barrel throated for 75 Vmax with a McStock with a VX5 hd 4x20/52 on top. I do more Pdogs than coyotes so I need something that will shoot volume and not get too hot. IF I was trying to thwart your rules with one registered gun it would be an AR lower and several different uppers to fit my needs/wants
Old 12-07-2019, 02:10 PM
Supporting Member

An impossible task........ But if I tried, it would likely involve a 22-250 cartridge.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM

[quote=. IF I was trying to thwart your rules with one registered gun it would be an AR lower and several different uppers to fit my needs/wants[/QUOTE]

Now there is a idea, that could really throw the anti's for a loop. Bill K
Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Any Thompson Center platform would allow variety with only one registered action. Some of the T/Cs are very accurate, I have a couple of barrels that shoot very well. Between the Encore and Contender, G2 and original there are many calibers available, sub 22 to elephant size like the 416 Rigby in an Encore. The custom barrel maker can make barrels to satisfy most any desire.
Bill
Old 12-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Sako A1 in .222.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

good choice daryl, actually they are all good choices.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:18 PM

I have been waiting to read the comments for a while before I sent mine in. I have a Sako A1 in 223 that has near presentation grade wood. I am the second owner. I bet original owner only shot one or two boxes of ammo out of it. My first handloads out of it shot 0.4 MOA.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
If you could have just one rifle (for varmint and coyotes), what would it be? Let's hear your choices and why? Also, barrel weight, length, stock choice etc. would be interesting to hear.
A Borden action, 22 inch barreled .17 Rem with cryo treated Krieger barrel, throated for 30gr anything, marine tex bedded in a McMillan stock with Sako palm swell, Jewell trigger, Gre'Tan firing pin assembly, and Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope in Talley rings.

Yep, that sums it up for me.

Last edited by .17 Longshot; 12-08-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 PM
Administrator

My Remington 700 in 20 TAC with X-caliber 11 twist 3 groove barrel topped with a Leupy 8.5-25 varminthunter reticle would be mine. Verty flat out to 350 with 39 BK's or 40 Vmax. Was actually thinking I might try to fill a doe whitetail tag with it this week. Under 200 yard neck shot would be easy. DocEd did good on that one!

But it'd be tough to get rid of my very first varmint rifle, my Ruger 77VT laminated stock 22-250. It's the rifle I learned to reload with and is very deadly with 55 vmax moly bullets. I lusted over one of those for years while I shot groundgogs with my 22 or deer rifles. Finally saved up my pennies and ran into a steal of a deal on one lightly used for $350 back about 1995. They're over new $700 now!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:38 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
But it'd be tough to get rid of my very first varmint rifle, my Ruger 77VT laminated stock 22-250. It's the rifle I learned to reload with and is very deadly with 55 vmax moly bullets. I lusted over one of those for years while I shot groundgogs with my 22 or deer rifles. Finally saved up my pennies and ran into a steal of a deal on one lightly used for $350 back about 1995. They're over new $700 now!
Same here Charlie. Bought one new in July/94 for 516$, first center-fire rifle I owned and then learned to hand-load. Been running 40 grain VMAX, shoots about like a lazer beam.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 12-09-2019 at 03:45 AM.