Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 AM

Thanks gentlemen. Your input has saved me a headache. I'm leaning towards having Bullberry make an 18" 22WMR barrel for my Contender. Thanks again.

Alan
Old 10-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Default 22mag

For what you are going to pay for a custom barrel you can get the Savage combo 22 mag rifle with scope camo and acc u trigger for under $350! Very accurte and I think you can get it in heavy barrel. Its all the gun you will ever need. Get some 30gr. V-max ammo and you are set.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:47 AM

Default 22 mag...

I have thought about a 22 mag also... thought about the 5mm too..but since I live in BFE....22 mag ammo is everywhere...5mm is nonexistent...even though I have almost a whole box of the original stuff in my collection...
Presently my 22 contender barrel and those 22 subsonic HP rounds will just drill anything i pull the trigger on.
My 17 AH or 22 hornet is next up..both are bullberrys and will just drive tacks...anyhows...I would definitely check with Fred...have you checked with Ron's Guns...? he has a great selection too....I got a mint 45 long colt octagon that is way fun with cowboy loads...it is a beast with heavys...but with light loads it will cut clovers...
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
The 5mm Rimfire magnum has had problems from day one!! Stay away from it! Let the damn thing die in peace!
Ha… you can let it die in your peace BUT IT WILL ALWAYS LIVE IN PEACE AND HARMONY WITH ME.... Just too much fun.... and I’m stocked up with everything I need for both rf and cf versions just like I am with 17 & 20 cal components…

FCs right on, I have a savage accutriger 22 mag, paid 185.00 new for it a few years ago. pretty nice riffle.... But he is missing something, I didn't buy it cause i need it and I darn sure didn't buy a contender cause I need it... if a contender is what you are after Fred makes some nice stuff.

If anyone is so inclined to take fc advices please send all of em my way for a respectful death of the 5 mag. u-c I am starting a 5mm mag Hospice to help fc out with his wishes…

Last edited by GLWenzl; 10-28-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: added Hospice
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256wm View Post
I wonder how a 22LR Velocitor HP would perform on fox at 50 yards and under? It has a stated velocity of 1435fps for a 40gr bullet.
Not only the velocity, they shoot like Eley Match in everything I run them in!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

Default 22

I shot the velocitors into wet paper at 50yds. side by side against the Winchester 40gr hp and old CCI Gold Dot 22 magnum ammo and the velocitors penetrated amost as far as the Win and CC Imagnum loads they mushroomed out good and had very good weight retention looked like a big game bullet!Its a very good round for hunting.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:58 AM
Supporting Member

Long live the 5mm mag
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Default Right on Gary.....

I will always keep shooting and enjoy my 5mm Contender barrel,am set up to reload it or shoot Aquila.I also have a 22lr that is a bunch of fun in a 14”bull.
Always thought the 22 magnum might be fun,but since I have shot my 14”s/s
bull barrel 22 Hornet I figure it is like a 22 mag rifle and I can load it to do anything a 22 mag can do.I bet a 22CCM barrel would be fun too.As I get older though I think I need to try and be more practical so perhaps I am starting to think on a more streamlined scale.If I was younger I probably would have one of each.
Matt
Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Found this post very interesting. Didn't know the 5mm was back. Is this the very same 5MM Rim fire that my old, very old Remington 590 that I had back in the 70's, was built for? The guy I sold the rifle to, converted it to .22WMR. Don't recall any issues with it. But then at my age I can't remember what I had for breakfast in 1977.

As this discussion progressed I was only slightly surprised to see the .22 WMR pop in. I was really surprised no one said 17HMR.

Why? Haven't followed TC for a while, did they make a 17HMR barrel. I have taken plenty of Montana gophers, some Prairie Dogs, a number of rock chucks and Jack Rabbits, even a couple of badgers with careful shot placement. (eye, nose and and ear holes only) with the 17HMR. Seems like the 17HMR would be a good rimfire choice for CT.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Long live the 5mm mag
I have owned at least one firearm in 5mm since it's introduction and for ANYONE that thinks the 22 Mag is in the same class "Shame on U" .

When working for a Remington jobber I purchased a 591 and was still working there the year before the discontinued the ammo.
I saw it go from a retail price of $9.95 to a wholesale price of near $13.00 that is when I purchased 2 cases (2500 rds each).

I have since bought and sold quite a few 591/592 and have never had any issues with either the cartridge or the rifles

Jim