Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-03-2018, 05:29 PM

If you wouldn't mind sharing how much the cost of the trip was in total? This may be on the bucket list someday.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
If you wouldn't mind sharing how much the cost of the trip was in total? This may be on the bucket list someday.
My total costs for the trip were $14,000 CND or about $10,500 your money. My brother went as observer so his was a lot less, his total was about $4,800 CND. This can be done for a LOT less than what we spent, even flying first class. There are lots of 6 or 7 day hunts with 4 or 5 trophies available for $2,500-$3,500 U.S. (your all in on one of these, not counting air would work out to about $4,500 using the higher priced hunt, with tips, VAT, and all the non-covered expenses.) plus airfare.

It really is a pretty affordable hunt/holiday compared to most places a guy would go for a couple of weeks. Way cheaper than coming up to Canada to hunt, though the extra guiding costs here are partly offset by the lower airfare and it being only a few hours flight instead of a two day trek.

My only suggestion is, unless your wife hunts or wants to be in the vehicle every day, leave her home. There is not a lot for non-hunters to do in most of the hunt camps unless you go way up scale where they have spas, pools, guided walks and the like. You definitely do not want to be wandering around off the hunt concessions in most areas unless you are armed and in a group.

Given the political climate in SA, if you want to see it I would do it real soon. It may not be long before this is no longer an option, especially if the Gov nationalises all privately held land, like they have been talking about for the last couple of years.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Package deal is the best way to go. I'd say in 2019 for a trip to South Africa, which is the cheapest place to hunt and the most competition between outfitters, six thousand and up for a nine day hunt dependent on whether you go for quality trophy animals or just do a management/cull hunt. Airfare is dependent on what airline, and time of year but figure between 1000 and 2000 for economy seats.

http://www.jakkalskuilsafaris.com/ma...ng_gallery.htm

I hunted with this outfitter. He has a management hunt "Super Package", eight days and fourteen animals, one PH for one hunter, for $3500 but you need a group of four hunters. This includes airport transfers. His main farm is 36,000 acres but he has other concessions and properties to hunt.
Relative to some concessions, this is somewhat small. In other countries, there are some a million acres (40 square miles) or more.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 10-03-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Supporting Member

Thought some of you might be interested to know that hunts are on sale in SA right now. With all the land reform talk there is a pretty big drop in hunters coming over. If you can go on fairly short lead time this is a great time to book. Airfares are also running pretty cheap for some reason. Air Canada has return Economy for $1300 Canadian.