Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default U K badger war

Wally Bennett , i see there is a war on badgers over there. You involved in the culling of those disease carrying varmints ?

It might fill in for the lack of wabbits.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 PM

I read somewhere that the whole thing was a travesty with only 600 badgers killed, at a cost to the tax payer of £16,000 per beast ($24,000)

Ian.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM

i cant speak for england but here in ireland the hole process is a joke as well as the licensing system for guns!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermincinerator View Post
I read somewhere that the whole thing was a travesty with only 600 badgers killed, at a cost to the tax payer of £16,000 per beast ($24,000)

Ian.
Sounds about right. If you want something done ineffectively and at the greatest possible cost, get the government to do it. And it doesn't matter what government it is, they can screw it up.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Supporting Member

I seen it reported that our GOVY has $50000 in each Black Footed Ferret. I enquired at the visitors center in Badlands Park about ferrets getting the plague,answer was we vaccinate them .
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

anything gubment touches is bound to be disaster, most famous example was when they took over a whore ranch in Nevada... How can a business that specializes in cookies fail!!!! answer: let the gubment run it
Old 03-14-2014, 12:53 AM
Supporting Member

MUSTANG RANCH i believe.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM

Cull only was targeted to remove 70% of estimated number of resident badgers in two areas, despite extending the time in one area 58% were killed and in the other 30%.

It was widely reported that 5% of the badgers took more than 5 mins to die when shot by govt approved 'marksmen'. Quite how that can be using a decent centerfire is beyond me, wack them through the centre chest like a fox.

I saw no advertisements for 'marksmen' anywhere so suspect they hired local pest control companies who may or may not have relevant firearms experience. Shooting a fox in a humane trap is a bit different to something at 200 yards on a windy night in a lamp.

Cant see why they could not use the free services of local Firearms Cert Holders with relevant experience. Mind you the antis were out in force so that would probably not bode to well for known local vehicles or people.

I did shoot next to a guy at a well known West Midlands target club some 20 years ago, he told me that during the recent Foot and Mouth disease outbreak he was employed to shoot any sheep missed on the hills in the slaughter round up. He used a 223, when i had a quiet look at his target as you do sometimes his groups averaged about 6 inches at 100 yards, yes 6 inch not .6.

Shooting sheep at 300 yards with that was inhumane in my opinion, no doubt a govt approved marksmen.

A

Last edited by Alycidon; 03-19-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM

The reported estimated length of time the culled badgers took to die has to be wrong. There can be no explanation other than that those opposed to the cull have claimed this to prevent further culling.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM

Agreed unless some gassing took place using Cymag or Phostoxin.

Cant see Badgers being any harder to kill than small deer although they are incredibly solid. Anything 204 and up will do the trick.

A