Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM

I got an ear full the last time I brought up glass.

Some folks spend $100-250 on glass and are happy. Cost is irrelevant if it does not repeat or track, and focus well all the way up and down through X’s.

I have come to the thoughts of the right tool for the job. A good varmint scope may make for a poor tactical scope and vise versa.

I read some on the Athlon as I am not at all excited about Bushnells new line. I have looked through and used a couple of Vortex tactical scopes. I doubt they will make a decent varmint scope and my funds don’t allow $2000+ for me to try one.
I have some good Bushnells,Leupold and Burris glass.
Even have an older Tasco that many will laugh at but it tracks and repeats and will focus through all powers. I do not trust it 100% just because of the track record of Tasco.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:31 PM

Cool Leupold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
I will say first that I am an Athlon dealer so take my word for what you will. In general the Athlon scopes represent a 20-50 less cost to similar products. to say the viper genII has better glass or that the leupold LRP's speak for them self is at best a stretch. I was at a show a few months ago and compared my $630 Midas TAC to a Leupold vx3i LRP and was shocked at how disappointed I was in the Leupold especially for nearly twice the cost. To some glass is the only thing that matters to others its controls or mechanical tracking. I wish they had more hunting and varmint driven options but they are a little more tactical driven. So far I have had very pleased customers that have given good feedback. When it comes to optics its all about your personal preferences. David C.
I am not a Leupold Fan Boy by any stretch. On this website they are considered the "Gold Standard" by many. I think the VX2-VX3 line represents a very good scope at a slightly inflated price. I own a few Leupolds and find the glass to be very good, tracking to be good and the ergonomics and weight acceptable. They are also lighter weight and smaller sized than many other similar powered scopes. The one big drawback I have found with them is the eye relief changes so much from low to high zoom (usually .5-1").

The Leupold warranty is tested and proven. Many here have purchased Leupold scopes used and sent them in for free cleaning and testing. If you want a different reticle no problems or other turrets installed again they can do it for a modest cost. They have been in business for a long time and will be here tomorrow.

Can Athlon say that? As far as prices go Athlon does not beat other manufacturers by that much when you go through each line and model. 20%-50% savings on Athlon vs other brands I would have to disagree unless you do no real shopping for prices. Frankly, I think the Black Diamond line is a little better optically in the same price point as Athlon. I don't get into the whole made in USA thing but that matters to some here (and I'm currently not sure just how much of the Leupold current lineup is all made in the USA).

I own and have owned many brands of scopes (Tasco, Simmons, Cabela's, Weaver, Nightforce, Burris, Leupold, Athlon, Redfield, Mueller, Lyman, Steiner, Vortex, Bushnell, Bausch & Lomb, Nikon, Zeiss, IOR, Swift, etc.). I have been shooting for 5 decades. I know a thing or two about good optics and poor.

One thing I will say everybody has different eyes when it comes to color, clarity and brightness for any optic.

Mike.

Last edited by Stormbringer; 04-18-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM

They had glass back then
Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
They had glass back then
LOL. Not really that old just been shooting since a kid. We don't have many real varmint shooting scopes out right now. Everything is leaning more toward competition, tactical or long range hunting.

One thing I really don't like is how big and heavy the higher powered scopes are getting. I also don't like how large the ocular lenses have become.

Mike.

Last edited by Stormbringer; 04-17-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:44 AM

I have not figured out why we need rings today that look like a connecting rod off of a Kohler engine.
All through the magnumitis years we never saw these.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:52 PM
Supporting Member

I bought a Argos 6-24x50 FFP. Could not get a clear image. Lots of ghosting around the target at anything over about 8X. I thought it was just a crappy scope. My shooting buddy bought one and when I looked through it, it was crystal clear. No amount of adjusting on mine would clear it up.

I packed it up and shipped it out 10 days ago to the factory in KS. Ten days later a brand new scope showed up and it is perfect.

Great unlimited warrantee. Don't need to receipt or other hoop jumps. Fill out the form you download from the web and ship it. Period.

The new scope has fantastic optics. As good as any of my much more expensive scopes.

Happy Camper!

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 04-27-2019, 01:27 PM

When companies offer exchange warranty coverage(do not actually repair), i.e. send in a poor performing product and a new item sent to the customer, there are two issues. 1. If the product line changes you will NOT be receiving the same model you shipped in for "repair". 2. It means that the QC part of manufacturing has been de-emphasized(cheaper to ship straight from production line and exchange poor quality items because there is no repair employees), hopefully the customer service representative actually checks the exchange item or you may receive another out of spec or poor performing item. This non repair policy seems more prevalent in manufacturing from eastern(Asian and central America countries).
Old 04-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Supporting Member

All eyes are different, and hence not everyone will EVER agree on what the best scope is. Over the years I have found some scopes that I like and some that I don't like. For the most part, today's optics are pretty good once you get above the entry level scopes for each scope maker.

For me reliable tracking is a requirement, and without that, the "good glass" feature is irrelevant..... Buying a Brand X scope simply because it looks clearer and brighter and its cheaper than Brand Y when viewed and compared through a store front window is false economy in many cases.

JMO -BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine