Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 Aguila -- anybody still shoot this ammo?

I was looking through some old ammo and found a brick and a half of this ammo. I figured if I made a little shooter for it the ammo would probably last me half of forever. If it didn't shoot well I could just run a 17 Mach2 reamer in there and use that stuff. I seem to remember on of the fellows here on Saubier was involved with the original testing -- I think it was MarinePMI but forgive me if I'm wrong. I think he said it was only accurate out to 75 yards and then accuracy went south. I was wondering if anybody still shot the 17 Aguila and did they have any luck with it?

It's just a tiny little round and figured it would make a good yard varmint round. I actually though the round was dead but noticed Midway still sells it.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:50 AM

Default Squirrel & rabbit stew round.

On Midway, it is discontinued, though that might also mean the same as "out of stock" in this case.

I did find some listed for sale elsewhere, http://unammo.com/AmmoSearch.aspx?Cal=.17%20PMC
UN Ammo
2035 W Glendale Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85021

Good to 75 so as a woods small game squirrel / rabbit round for meat it is pretty darn near perfect for head shots. I do not have any myself, but liked the ballistics and the bullet so much that I replicated it in 17VHA with the .172 20gr Gamepoint and 2.3gr of IMR HS 700-X. It gets just about 1850 to 1900fps, if I wanted more or less expansion, I just bump the powder up to as much as 2.76gr or all the way down to 1.1gr.

As far as accuracy goes, it is largely dependent on the quality of the loads, if I recall it was good for about .5" at 50yds, maybe up to 75yds.

I like what it can do, it is a lot more than you need for squirrels, the trajectory if zeroed to hit around 65yds is never much more than a half of an inch from the cross hairs in my version. Depending on what your goal is it could be a perfect cartridge for your use, or it could be useless.

However it comes out, I would like to see what you come up with, maybe a Crickett in .17 Aguila?

I wish CCI or Hornady would load the 20gr Gamepoint in the .17HM2.

Last edited by 17tbs; 06-20-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Supporting Member

I don’t know the details but I thought at one time there was a good number of guys buying it cheap and shooting it in their 17 HM2s. Just something to consider.

I always thought that shooting the 17A in an auto loader 17HM2 might be a good Combo (thinking that fireforming the case may take out sone of the presure spike some autos was having issues with.

Kind of wishing I was thinking when the 17 A was selling cheap and stocked up with some as I have three little chipmunk 17 HM2s. It might have been good for that as 22 Boomer mentioned...
Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 PM

Somewhere in all my gun stuff I have a 10-22 barrel and bolt conversion kit. I never tried it for accuracy just functionality. With all the horror stories I decided to "de-convert" the 10-22. But the idea of a cricket???!!! hmmm. Unfortunately I only have a little ammo left from my short test so I guess I'll never know.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Supporting Member

Sorry about saying it was available at Midway. I honestly did not notice the "Discontinued" when that page came up. At the price they showed it was kind of cheap. I have a 10/22 with the heavy bolt handle that I use for the 17 Mach2 and never had a problem with it. I did shoot some 17 Aguila in the 17M2 chamber but, believe it or not, the 17 Aguila case did not fire form out for some reason but I will say it's accuracy was terrible for me when shot it that way. I was actually thinking of using an old 22lr bolt action to reline the barrel in 17 caliber and run the 17 Mach2 reamer in short to match the 17 Aguila case.

Funny how projects like this almost seem as much fun as being able to shoot the stuff.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM

High Standard early on........
Old 06-21-2019, 12:27 AM

Default 17 Aguila

I had plans to do a conversion on a Ruger 10/22, purchased a new rifle, talked to Volquartsen about getting a barrel and purchased 4 or 5 bricks in anticipation of the new build. I think Volquartsen was importing Walther barrels and there was a long delay due to maybe 911. Gave up, the ruger stayed a 22 and the ammo got buried in boxes during a move. Probably end up in my estate sale. Unless I could find a barrel.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:22 AM
Supporting Member

Actually Hornady should have seated the bullets like Aquila instead of what they did. I realize they used the longer case of the Stinger and had to but Aquila had a better idea. I believe H&R's version was close to the Aquila design. With the fine 22 rf target rifles available, the 17M2 could have been outstanding.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Actually Hornady should have seated the bullets like Aquila instead of what they did. I realize they used the longer case of the Stinger and had to but Aquila had a better idea. I believe H&R's version was close to the Aquila design. With the fine 22 rf target rifles available, the 17M2 could have been outstanding.
Ray, I was thinking of using some of that brick of 17 Aguila I have just because the ammo looked good to me. I keep forgetting the fact that I'm old and have some darn health problems and can't get to the range. I have some nice 22 rimfire long barreled rifles that I use CCI 22CB longs in and can target practice in the back yard but it saps my energy so shooting is short. I use the CB's because they are quiet but are still pretty accurate at 25 yards. Don't really know If I'll ever get a chance to actually shoot that 17 Aguila but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Supporting Member

Charlie think positive. I know everyone on here are pulling for you. You always think outside the box on your projects and I for one like that. Keep the ideas going.