Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 PM

22B.

I suspect that you and I share some of the same things. Waking up from an 8hr nap after 1 hour of being up, gets old; but tis the way it is now here.

I won't go into my ills, but will say that I plan to shoot at an indoor range once a week.......does not always happen. So many friends there, some know; some do not know my affliction, but kinda bangs the spirit up a little.

There is a mental aspect to medical issues just like the physical ones. I never gave that much thought before, but they are very, very real.

So just saying and planning to do something on a certain day.....helps....or the day one feels good enough, then make effort to do it. Not easy I have found out, never thought the wanna's would be short to anything else, so a little nudge, nudge is required with me at times.

of course, the above is just internet BS; but really from an kindred spirit. Things that work for me, may not for you; we are all individuals......gotta wanna on one's own sometimes.

I suspect that we will never speak again(kinda a hermit here), but don't feel like the lone arranger. In addition to the usual positive inputs we all get and appreciate, the hobbies that we loved since we were kids; can do a little too. So keep pluggin............

Last edited by rick w.; 06-24-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

Rick,
What you are saying is so close to home. I have so many things that I want to do and in the past they would get done but that time has passed. I do get out and back yard target shoot and keep planning of a range trip but guess I'll have to see what happens. The indoor range is a possibility since there is one nearby -- thanks for that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
22B.

I suspect that you and I share some of the same things. Waking up from an 8hr nap after 1 hour of being up, gets old; but tis the way it is now here.

I won't go into my ills, but will say that I plan to shoot at an indoor range once a week.......does not always happen. So many friends there, some know; some do not know my affliction, but kinda bangs the spirit up a little.

There is a mental aspect to medical issues just like the physical ones. I never gave that much thought before, but they are very, very real.

So just saying and planning to do something on a certain day.....helps....or the day one feels good enough, then make effort to do it. Not easy I have found out, never thought the wanna's would be short to anything else, so a little nudge, nudge is required with me at times.

of course, the above is just internet BS; but really from an kindred spirit. Things that work for me, may not for you; we are all individuals......gotta wanna on one's own sometimes.

I suspect that we will never speak again(kinda a hermit here), but don't feel like the lone arranger. In addition to the usual positive inputs we all get and appreciate, the hobbies that we loved since we were kids; can do a little too. So keep pluggin............
Old 06-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

I don't have the heart to take my 10/22 in 17 Mach2 apart and swap out the barrel to the 17 Aguila I found in my parts box. One of the members reminded me that the 17 Aguila can be shot in the 17 Mach2 chamber so I have an out for that ammo for now. Still thinking about building a bolt action for the Aguila ammo and went to Brownells to see about ordering a liner and they are out. I thought about getting one of those Cricket rifles but I think they are single shots and I hope to build a Mossberg that will have a magazine.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:47 PM

I have done a few relines with the Redman products. The results were always beyond what I had hoped for, accuracy was there in the end. Have perused Track of the Wolf liners as well, but not gotten one yet; have had some thoughts about a 32 S&W Long K frame.

I was too cheap early on to purchase the piloted drill from Brownell's or PTG, so I just used straight chucking reamers with extensions in my lathe. In my attempts in sleeving, I found there are a few tricks to the cosmetics, ie no liner shows; read about such from the ASSRA forum guys. I finally got the piloted short drill with my own extension, works ok too.

Some use solder to bond the sleeve to the barrel, but a loctite retainer does a wonderful job and is easy, I prefer the Loctite 620 retainer. A retainer is used to bond two smooth circular objects together, like sleeves in a motor. I suspect it would have to be drilled out for removal........tough stuff.

I did a 17 HM2 BSA Martini MkII years ago with a Shilen barrel, accuracy is right there. The sleeving is kinda new to me, last 15 yrs or so, but have found it to be a good repair as well. Slleeving is a bit more money conscious than a new blank, but sometimes just ends up with using what you got.

I am eyeing a Remington 541S or a 541T-hb sitting in the corner, thread the action, and put a Shilen blank on it in the little 17 rimfire. Ought to be the ticket for nuisance small critters. Have to admit, sleeving is ok though, just again using what I have on hand.

My best, sounds like a neat project, keep the mind busy, the other seems to lessen.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:35 PM
Supporting Member

Rick,
I thought about using those liners they have on "Track of the Wolf" but I haven't really checked into them enough to know what size piloted drill to use and I didn't see where they had 17 caliber liners. I wish I could find the site for the fellow that actually makes the liners. I was told he's a nice guy and if you call about the liners he can give you a better price. His liners are hammer forged.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 PM

22B,

All I really know about Track of the Wolff liners is hearsay(nice word for reading?) on the web. I read that the Wolff outfit sold TJ liners, which again I read are hammer forged. On their site, one can see the O.D. of the liner(bought by the inch) but like you; did not see any 17's. Might be a limitation as to tooling, I really do not know or not enough market maybe. I am not sure TJ's has a site, but did see a phone number.......if wanting direct. So the net search has its pluses some days........

John Taylor over at the ASSRA is noted to know how to do liners. Several of his postings that I saw, seem to lean towards the TJ but their rifles are usually fair caliber; at least 22lr up.

In the Redman, the liners are around 0.312(-) for the rimfire; and the piloted drill that Brownell's sells is about 315. I have read over at ASSRA about some comments on lining techniques, tis over there if you look/search.

When I did my 22lr No.1 with a liner(redman), I used a straight chucking reamer almost to the end of the factory barrel's muzzle, stopped short about an inch. I then reversed the barrel in the lathe, and used a closer fitting chucking reamer for that final inch of barrel. Snug fit, the barrel line at muzzle was invisible............much to my surprise really..... Really the 0.002 is pretty hard to see but can be improved at the breech as well, by leaving the liner a bit long(outside) and using a hammer to tap(punch?) the sides of the liner outwards, thus sealing the line if it is there or not, to not visible. This of course is where the chambering takes place, so a little pinging is eaten out by the chamber reamer. Of course, one has to know when to quit sorta speak. Not my ideas really, but adaptations of what I read on various rifle sites.

I read that Redmans are buttoned fwiw. My No.1 in 22lr with redman liner 620'd in; shoots ok for me, only had it to 25yds, but the first shot will be touched by the next 4 if I do my part, sometimes better than that even.......... but right now, getting to go is lots more important to me than smallish groups.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:54 PM

Default TJ liners

They are hammer forged, do a 17 and are exceptional. Have used liners in different calibers from 17 to 56 rifled and smooth bore from different companies. TJ's liners make extremely accurate barrels, well worth the cost. Mike that owns TJ's does not do business on line to my knowledge. He is a great guy, his hammer forged liners are so uniform and slick inside that the air gun crowd love them for their builds.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
They are hammer forged, do a 17 and are exceptional. Have used liners in different calibers from 17 to 56 rifled and smooth bore from different companies. TJ's liners make extremely accurate barrels, well worth the cost. Mike that owns TJ's does not do business on line to my knowledge. He is a great guy, his hammer forged liners are so uniform and slick inside that the air gun crowd love them for their builds.
I've been told this before but my problem is the barrel drill. I'm not good enough with my hands these day to make a piloted drill in the correct size and I don't have lathe. Does TJ's offer piloted drills for liners? I believe TJ's liners are larger in diameter per caliber than the Redman's so I don't believe there is one on Brownells that would work for me.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 PM

For those still interested manson reamers shows a 17 aguila reamer in the readers tools for a whopping $20! https://mansonreamers.files.wordpres...ters-tools.pdf

It states its for a liner so not sure what the difference there may be?
Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 AM

Default Liner

It means that it was probably made with a pilot that fits the tighter lands typical of a liner. You just about can not pass that up, it is too good to. I call dibbs on one.

Last edited by 17tbs; 07-09-2019 at 07:10 AM.