Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Default whats a Vixen look like?

How do you identify the VIXEN model ?
I've got 2 SAKO's, both are inscripted as AI models.
Is it supposd to be inscripted VIXEN to be a Vixen?

As per picture, the bottom rifle has the plastic butt plate with square 'ish styled forestock.
The center rifle has a orange color rubber butt plate and rounded forestock
with shorter barrel.
These are both hinge plate 223's and the barrel lengths differ by 2 inches

The rifle at top is a model 75 in 222
Thanks
AL

Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Here's one.

Yes, it has "VIXON Made In Finland" roll stamped on the barrel.
I think the Vixon's were post Garcia (at least mine is) which makes them less colectable. It says "Garcia Corp. Wash. D.C." on the bottom of the barrel just past the forend.
There's a Sako colectors web-site that has more info than you probably want to know. That's where I found out about the Garcia identifacation on the barrel. I owned the rifle for years and never noticed it. It's not roll stamped and very faint, but it's there.
This ones chambered in 222.
Those are some beauties.
I'd say my stock is similar to the bottom one, and it also has the plastic butt-plate and hinged floor plate.
I'd sure like to get my hands on a 75 Varminter with the stainless and fluted barrel.

You have good taste in rifles.

Last edited by RePete; 07-30-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default A true Vixen....

All kidding aside, the A1 and the vixen action were almost, if not identical except for what it says on the side of the action.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Supporting Member

heres vixen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9aR2jKiFQs
Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 PM

Vixen is merely a name used to signify that your A1's have a short action. The medium actions (22/250, 243, 308 etc) were known as 'Forester' and the long actions 'Finnbear'.
I have certainly never heard of any Sako having the terms stamped onto them. The actions just have the model (L461, A1, L61 or whatever) on the side, before the serial number. Must be something the American importers did.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 PM

I can only imagine what's on the video.... Probably something similar to what I was going to post....

I'm pretty sure that "Vixen," "Forester," and "Finnbear" applied only to the L-461, L-579, L-61 series respectively. The names don't appear on any of the barrels (some no longer attached) that I have for anything other than those actions. The names weren't added by the importer, they are on the barrel in the same font as the "Made in Finland" inscription. I checked a couple of barrels from different importers and they're all the same. The names also appear on the boxes. In fact, the A1 boxes just might still have "Vixen" on them, but all my boxes are in storage, so I can't verify that.

The main difference between the L-461 and the A1 is the closed bolt shroud and the twist out firing pin assembly on the A1. Almost all L-461s have an open bolt shroud with a screw-out firing pin assembly. Some of the later ones had the A1 style firing pin assembly. There are several other minor variations in the L-461.

It looks like you have two of the stock variations in the A1. The one in the middle probably has a cheekpiece like the 75 but a slightly thicker pistol grip than the 75. This is my absolute favorite factory stock pattern--hands down. The one on the bottom is probably the same stock as the L-461s had.

If it'll help ease the disappointment of not having a real "Vixen," I'll take the one in the middle off your hands
Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Supporting Member

Default Sako

The L461's I've got have the Vixen stamp on the barrel, the A1's do not. Most common difference in the L461 and the A1 is the slanted bolt cocking piece on the AI versus the squared one on the L461. On the L461's you can see some differences on the bottom metal, most notibly on the hinged floorplate and trigger guard design, there's an early version and a late one. Same with the A1 as early versions have basicaly a stock design that came on the L461/hard buttplate and the later with a more rounded design and the red Sako rubber pad. Having said all that I've seen variations that cross over the model changes with no correlation to serial number and the change of the importer, plus there were models only made for European markets that muddy the waters. I'm a member of the Sako Club website and get their weekly blurps and I can tell you that the only thing they agree on is that they don't agree on a lot as every time you turn around someone else is posting something new that tosses a monkey wrench into the works. Currently I have a NIB A1 Hunter in 6PPC that is labeled a Vixen on the box but does not on the rifle, and a L461 Deluxe with a red rubber buttpad and no import marks?

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 07-30-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 PM

Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 AM

Default good information from everyone

I'm starting to believe that VIXEN was the SAKO L461 without the shroud

My AI 223's both have shrouds and there is no VIXEN inscription on either.
Yes, both stocks vary, the rifle at the bottom has a square'ish stock similar to what a L461 action came with.

I guess they're both simply described as SAKO AI models
Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 AM

Thumbs up Interesting subject.

I can contribute a couple of action pics.

Also, both the L461 and AI actions have firing pin assemblies that attach to the bolt in the SAME manner......i.e. neither assembly is a screw-in.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that the "Vixen" is a rifle model designation.....rather than an action designation.

Hope this helps....

Kevin

Here's an L461

And here's an AI

Last edited by Kevin Gullette; 07-31-2008 at 03:28 AM. Reason: sp