Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Thumbs up 17 Rem. vs 'TX 'yotes...

Just back from south TX on a feral hog and 'yote hunt. I used my 17 Rem., 700 BDL. with a 24 bbl., for 'yotes and a javalina. Loads consist of 30 gr. Nagel bullets atop VV540 powder. A very accurate load in this rifle. I shot one 'yote, out about 200 yds. and moving, in the rear chest area. Found him about 150 yds. from where I rolled him over initially. He was stone dead upon finding him in the brush. Shot another at better than 300 yds. Plenty of time to get him squared up in my Weaver V16 FCD. Held dead on and again was hit in the rear of the body. Watched the 'yote get rolled over at first. Racked another round and took second shot that missed. My buddy, Dick, watched him run and fall numerous times. Never found him but am sure that he was truly on his way out. I shot a young javalina with this same load. Dropped him like a bad habit. Shot was taken at less than 60 yds. One shot and stone cold dead. I did not use my .17 for feral hogs. I have learned that these are one tough animal. I shot 2 with my .243, 70 gr. Nosler BT atop 42.0 gr. of Varget. Both hogs ran off and never found 'em. My hunting buddy, Dick, shot 2 with his Marlin 336 in 30-30 with the same results. We

hunted a deer lease south of San Antonio of a friend. His thoughts are shot 'em and shoot some more. Get a round in 'em and let 'em feed the turkey buzzards. Lots off hogs and too little time this yr. Will return next yr. with my .41 Mag. S&W.

Last edited by MTGunner; 03-09-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM

Five animals wounded and lost out of seven shot.

I don't think the .41 Magnum will help.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Supporting Member

Big bore handguns like the 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt - and larger - work great on hogs - both native javalina and feral hogs. It's a lot of fun if you've never done it before....

From experience, I would take a large bore revolver with a heavy lead bullet any day over a 243 or smaller rifle on the big hogs....

JMO- BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Default Tom

Glad that Chan's bullets I hand delivered to you went to good use. You have to see the white's of their eyes next time. If you can smell their breath; that is close enough. Save some for Montana. I want to come and shoot PD's and Badgers and other nefarious vermin with you. Drive careful. I want you to make it home safely!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Supporting Member

Default Feral hogs

MT: my place is about midway between Austin and Houston, far from the S TX area you were hunting. The hog population has exploded, with extreme damage to any improved land.
After trapping six since Nov, and shooting three more, my freezer is full, but nary a measurable dent in the hog numbers. Their nocturnal habits make it hard to shoot many.
I never, ever thought I would not be concerned about not making a "clean kill" on a animal, but the hogs have attained "rat/vermin" status (though I assume much better eating than a rat).
Now I try to drop `em on the spot, and a head/shoulder junction shot does very well....but if my only shot is to the main frame, I'll take it. Feed the buzzards and coyotes....
Tonight we dined on pork loin and a front shoulder from the 125lb sow that got trapped last night.
I also had a neighbor tell me last night he ambushed a group of thirty or more, and emptied his Rem 870 using 00 buck. I asked him how many he killed; he answered " don't really know, but I hope it was plenty". He didn't even bother looking. Sounds callous, but it's reality.
My place is only 60 acres, so you can just imagine the population on large ranches.

Greg
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

can you light 'em at night??
some place's yes, others no.

You run feeders? What type trap?
Thanks,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 AM

I don't wish to sound insulting, but don't you owe it to your quarry to learn to shoot better?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
can you light 'em at night??
some place's yes, others no.

You run feeders? What type trap?
Thanks,
George: no problem with with lights at night, but I'm bad at guessing if they are out at 8pm or 2am (I prefer they come out at 8pm )
This morning at barely first light, I encountered a family group crossing our county road...three sows, and about 20 various size offspring. I was tempted to use my Glock (except for that "public road" issue).
My trap is a rectangular box unit, made from cattle panels and a spring door/trip wire setup.

Also: I think critiquing someone else's shooting skills, w/o knowing all circumstances, is tacky. Just my opinion.

Greg
Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
......Also: I think critiquing someone else's shooting skills, w/o knowing all circumstances, is tacky. Just my opinion.
Greg
+1 on that comment.........

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Talking Shooting skills...

I never fret about those that question my shooting skills until we have shot together. I do not profess to be as good a shooter as some claim. But, I have had few complaints from the many 'yotes that I have sent to their demise. As for TX feral hogs. You have to experience it yourself to realize how tough a critter they truly are. The TX landowner wanted as many shot/killed or wounded as possible. He was not concerned about confirmed kills on these vermin, only numbers, and there are lots of 'em. Let the 'yote, other feral hogs and buzzards clean 'em up! Mulerider has a handle on this situation due to the fact that he has experienced hunting them. English Mary, come shoot with me to glean the level of my shooting competence. My .17 Rem. did a good job on the javalina. It did not initially anchor the running 'yote at better than 300 yds., but he surely did expire. No chance he survived a Chan Nagel 30 gr. bullet to his rear steering gear/boiler room as such. I don't grade 'em, I just shoot 'em! Today, Off to shoot jack rabbits this AM.