Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
Randy, I tried no flipping they just sit there and spinning.. good to here all worked which ones did you test the standard way or the other ?
Forgot - that's what I get/got when the jars have too much empty space. Been doin' it w/o flippers for a LONG time! RG
Old 10-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Robinett View Post
Tested both out of bucket and drawn back, per your advice regarding temp and time- the softer version are terrific - ZERO bullet failures,
Randy,

For us newer bullet makers, can you explain this? Or is this some super secret project you are working on?

More specifically what I am asking is, are there other ways for me to make bullets other than the "VERY SPECIFIC" steps I have been told to follow?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1ZombieKiller View Post
Randy,

For us newer bullet makers, can you explain this? Or is this some super secret project you are working on?

More specifically what I am asking is, are there other ways for me to make bullets other than the "VERY SPECIFIC" steps I have been told to follow?
George was kind enough to share his knowledge regarding the proper temperature range and hold time needed to draw jackets to a more desirable granular structure, which "softens" the jackets, making both core seating and pointing more uniform - this was some J4 .224 jackets about 15+ years old. Some might call it annealing, but I believe that is not the correct terminology for what's taking place - perhaps George will advise. With a little experimenting, George's info proved, "spot on". RG

Last edited by Randy Robinett; 10-18-2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1ZombieKiller View Post
Randy,

Best advice is to follow steps that get the best results, if when you encounter problems we'll be here to help. Randy tested bullet blow up which has haunted one of the jacket mfg's, and I did not agree with there fix or answer to the problem..
Old 10-19-2014, 05:45 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Robinett View Post
George was kind enough to share his knowledge regarding the proper temperature range and hold time needed to draw jackets to a more desirable granular structure, which "softens" the jackets, making both core seating and pointing more uniform - this was some J4 .224 jackets about 15+ years old. Some might call it annealing, but I believe that is not the correct terminology for what's taking place - perhaps George will advise. With a little experimenting, George's info proved, "spot on". RG
So what is the temp and hold time......I have quite a few J4's that are quite old that I stopped using, perhaps they would benefit from this treatment.................Kiwi
Old 10-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Supporting Member

Not an exact temp. to use due to varying hardness from lot to lot of jackets. Method I came up with is in oven with argon or nitrogen pressure system to remove oxygen. Take 5-10 jackets start at 440* fahr. one hr. remove and allow to cool. core seat and point up if bullet length grows more than .008 from original length as a fb they are still to hard. repeat at 450 * when jackets grow to correct length run them. if bullets loose length they are to soft and will not work..
Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
Not an exact temp. to use due to varying hardness from lot to lot of jackets. Method I came up with is in oven with argon or nitrogen pressure system to remove oxygen. Take 5-10 jackets start at 440* fahr. one hr. remove and allow to cool. core seat and point up if bullet length grows more than .008 from original length as a fb they are still to hard. repeat at 450 * when jackets grow to correct length run them. if bullets loose length they are to soft and will not work..

Thanks George but since I'm still trying to teach myself all the finer points about bullet making what is the "correct" length they should grow to as a fb??
Old 10-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Supporting Member

if drawn back + .008 over original length if not drawn back they will grow around + .020 over original length...
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks George lesson are very much appreciated.......Kiwi