Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Nice write up Hal. I'm glad you are enjoying your WSMs. Nice shootin!

I'm sure it plays heck on long legged Texas jacks
LOL..!! It has quite a few times at well over 150 yards and probably well over 200 yards if I had taken the time to measure. Shooting jacks in West Texas has been a yearly hunting treat for me since the late 1970's, and I did take the 18.5" barreled WSM with me just before Xmas along with a semi-auto 22 Mag for my RF options. My HMR stayed home on that trip, and it probably will again the next trip I hope to make in March.

Not small caliber, but a 45 LC revolver makes for a great jack gun also.......... Pumpkin lobbing for jacks is a hoot........ You either get lots of sand and dust per shot or you get a true "smack-down" on a jackrabbit if you hit one.

EDIT: I normally don't range stuff like jack rabbits as part of the challenge, but I might take a range finder with me and purposefully shoot at a few ranged over 300 yards away with a 17 WSM just for fun........... I will definitely take some pictures of the results if I do it. Years ago when I lived out there, a couple of friends and I would sit on the Cap Rock (shore of the Permian Ocean) mid to late afternoon just west of Notrees, TX and shoot down on jacks (on the ocean bottom) with AR-15 rifles. We'd shoot at them as far away as we could see them and an occasional 500+ yard hit with an open sighted AR was cause for celebration after walking rounds in on the unlucky jackrabbit. We would have definitely "high-fived" a hit, but I don't think it had been invented yet back then....

BTW - the little town of Notrees is named appropriately...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-02-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM

I’m nowhere near the expert as Austin, Jeff or Hal but I too am a 17WSM fanboy. Started with a HB SS BMag and then moved on up to the 77/17. The Savage was no slouch in the accuracy dept but the bolt manipulation was something I couldn’t get used to. I sold it locally to a kid that still loves it and kills barnyard critters as needed with it. I’ve only ever tried the 20gr American Eagle in either of mine because frankly I didn’t need to try anything else.

The Ruger feels like a real firearm and with a Volquartsen sear and spring and a triggershim if needed it’s perfect in my eyes. Thanks for the great write up guys.

Brad
Old 02-02-2019, 05:54 PM

Default You guys don’t give a fella a chance....

I have bought 17WSM ammo at Cabela’s with my points money even though I don’t yet have a rifle.I am on the fence about which one to get,always liked Ruger and what that man has created.Love number ones and would love to see a 17WSM in that,maybe someday.It seems lots of guys get good accuracy with BMags but like you all I struggle with the Savage.The 1885 sure is nice and Screaminweasils Ruger/stock is super nice,so after looking recently at Rugers site I don’t see the 24” version anymore.A few are left at the normal retailers so maybe a fella better get on the stick before they are all gone.Curious if anybody has chrono,d the 18.5” or 20” Rugers.Perhaps rimfire s don’t need all that 24” barrel.The green laminate stock and 18.5” barrel seem like a handy rig.
Still can’t wrap my head around the fact that CZ hasn’t come on board yet.
Matt
Old 02-02-2019, 06:24 PM

I've been shooting my CZ HMR for several years now and have been very pleased with it. Very good ground squirrel rifle. Then I found out about 17 WSM. I could own a Savage rifle, but not the B-Mag. I wish the 17 WSM would have come out before the 17 HMR.

I bought a new Ruger and never fired it, stripped it down to the bolt and receiver. I had Connecticut Precision Chambering do all the metal work. They replaced the trigger with a JARD trigger, Schilen .920 straight barrel and they also did the bolt work. I also added in an extended mag release left over from a 10-22 build. The extended mag release is great. It all rest in a Boyds Coyote stock topped off with a Vortex Viper 6-24 FFP scope. I only shoot the Hornady 20 gr VMax.

Randy at CPC is not a fan of the Ruger 17 WSM at all. He gave me a discount on the barrel and produced a very accurate rifle for me.

I'll be heading to Oregon in April for ground squirrels. The HMR will also be going, but the WSM is now the main rifle.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 PM
Supporting Member

Matt:

I don't now about the velocity loss from going from 24" to 18.5" either, but at the time I bought it, 24" seemed a bit long to me for a RF. I've just been too lazy in the past two years or so too drag out my chrony for a RF rifle to check. I've been taking the easier road and buying the product advertising as gospel......

My brain wants to say that the 24" RF barrel probably loses some velocity due to the powder charge size versus barrel length thingy (expansion ratio). But that might just be a wag on my part due to powder burn rates, bore volume, etc., variances.

I do know one thing about the 18.5" barrel; it makes for an easy handling rifle. Whether the shorter barrel gives up a lot in velocity is a mystery to me too, but I do know that it doesn't reduce 17 WSM performance back into the 17 HMR realm while hunting, based on terminal performance on some jack rabbits and a few other ground dwellers.

I wonder if a call to Ruger might offer some information. For example, why did they give up on the longer barrel and settle on 20" and 18.5" barrel choices? One thing I did notice on their web site is that they no longer show the 17 HMR in the 77/17 series for 2019. Interesting in itself.

JM uneducated (and too lazy to find out) opinion............

- BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

The Ruger American rimfire line is kicking everyone's A$$!!! No big mystery! Including the Ruger 77/ rimfires! 17 WSM needs the strong 77 action. The 17 hmr 22 mag don't!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:39 PM

I won’t start a new thread as there is no sense in that.

My Bmag finally made me tinker with it some more. I went ahead and used the silly grooves for a recoil lug. I will be darned if it didn’t shrink groups a good bit and the flyers stay into a reasonable and useable group.
Got so mad a while back I was going to throw money at a Volquartsen 17WSM. I passed one up for $875 a few months prior. I read up some more on unbiased opinions and results from a few folks. Seems they all pretty much are shooting about the same size groups, some tinkering involved on some. Consensus seems to be that the ammo is as much at fault as anything.

I am even more pleased with the ugly duckling now.
Jeff
Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 PM

Good deal Jeff. I think everyone should experience the 17 WSM, particularly using the winchester 15gr ammo.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 AM
Supporting Member

I jumped a while back. Started out with a Bmag, liked it so much I added a Franklin Armory F17L, and another FA with a 16” barrel. Great performance and best of all-no reloading.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
I jumped a while back. Started out with a Bmag, liked it so much I added a Franklin Armory F17L, and another FA with a 16” barrel. Great performance and best of all-no reloading.

Awesome! I'm glad your enjoying it. Sure is nice to get close to "hornet" performance with a rimfire. Not reloading is a good thing when you get .17 WSM performance in a dirt cheap rimfire round.