Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-24-2019, 01:05 AM

In the end who cares. What point are you trying to make people are lying? I can say that pdogs are smarter than squirrels. I can shoot a barrel out on squirrels if I move to 223 or bigger. Pdogs is tougher as I have heated up my vartag in short order. But that is why people make new barrels.

Everyone has a fishing story. We take it with the grain of powder.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:10 AM

Oh by the way. I shoot almost 4 times a week here in WY at pdogs and rock chucks. Chucks are a good half day spot stalk 30. Pdogs are about 100 rds to 150 hr depending. Yes my barrel is smoking when I change guns.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:16 AM

Old 07-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Supporting Member

Large numbers are easily obtainable in the right dog patch with an AR. Spring time when the pups are up certainly comes to mind. I've gotten the barrel so hot the aluminum hand guard melted the pipe insulation used as a window rest. I keep my shots @ 200 yards and under and have a pretty good percentage rate,(I don't keep statistics, I'm there to shoot not play mathematics.) especially when you factor in multiple kills with a single shot on pups. (kind of like bowling pins) Seems as if you spend more time swapping mags and emptying the brass catcher than shooting...…… It can be done with the right conditions and a semi auto without much effort. JME others may vary...……..

Aaron
Old 07-24-2019, 05:05 PM

That reminds me, several years ago I was in WY. with a group of shooters. One night while sitting around the camp fire swapping lies, one guy was sitting there loading 30 rd. mags. for his AR. We asked if he was going to war, "Nope, just getting ready to whack n stack tomorrow."
Man he went through some ammo.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:21 PM

Default PD volume

In the mid 90s, several of us would shoot fri, sat, and a couple hours on sun morn. Some of us easily passed 1000 rounds in that time. We rotated rifles to have a less than hot barrel. We hunted one large private dog town in sodak and sometimes parts of the Rose Bud. At that time, the rosebud license was $27, and you had free reign of the reservation.
The good old days.

Last edited by df06; 07-24-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Supporting Member

The only reason I can think of for anyone to be worrying on an internet forum about how many rounds someone else shoots in a day at rodents would be if they had to buy the other guy's ammunition. Beyond that, for me, its none of anyone else's business.

That said, I don't think I've ever shot much over 300 rounds in a day at PD's - not all through one rifle. I usually shoot with others (friends and/or family) and I enjoy spotting for them and watching them shoot as much as I enjoy shooting at PD's and squirrels myself. I consider PD shooting to be a form of relaxation. If the next guy sees it as a marathon, that's his business in my world and not worth worrying about for me.

Maybe "reading on some varmint stuff" and having "visited with a guy" on a topic such as this isn't nearly as good as actual experience.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-24-2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: ......................
Old 07-25-2019, 03:45 AM
Supporting Member

I agree with BCB. However...

I've had numerous hunts where a 100-200 in a morning (4-5 hours), at ranges out to 200+ yards, was no problem. Most of those were shooting from one spot, with a high kill ratio (85%). When your firearms are sighted-in properly and you know the ballistics of the ammo/rifle combo, it isn't hard to be very productive in an active area. I don't pick-up all of them, but enough to show how well I did.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:51 AM

Good god guys I sure didn’t mean to whiz in anyone’s corn flakes.

I could give a rats arse what you say you shot and what ya hit. I just find it amusing on numbers.

Actual experience, I must have shot some of the smallest towns anywhere in years past and present evidently or I exercise some type of control. I go into a tow with the intent of cleaning house.

I will say that I pointed at no one, but some took offense to my questions and got butt hurt.

Sorry for my some what to the point opinion and any wording that may upset some one.
Lock the thread or delete it. No sense in any more responses.

There are a few here that seems to me like to down talk others at times.
I have tried to ignore it, then I think maybe it’s just the way it comes across when one types it is meant in another way. Nope definitely down talking.

I will log off and just refrain from any more waste of band width for this site.
Visiting in the shadows and slight glances once in a while.
There are those here I have come to respect and visit at other sites, see you around.
Jeff.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

A few comments again.

I carry ammo in 100 rd boxes, hits: case down, misses: case up. Easy to keep track of your averages, or counts that way.

Once you get things figured out there should be no excuses to miss under 300yds on a reasonably calm day. Wind will play H with small bullets though.
I had it figured out well with the .222mag and now .223. 2" high @ 100yds. Should put you on with a: Height high and if 10mph breeze, a height upwind. That should be about right on th avg p/dog. Takes a real steady hold though. I shot with a bipod and prone mostly other places. A whole lot depends on how much they'e been shot up as to how many shots we can get.

RR: sure things have changed. Folks moved to town, ranch land was
locked up to everyone.

Big town south of here has been turned into a big industrial area. At least half dozen shooters hit it several times a year and never ran out of p/d's to shoot at. I usually shot 50-100 fairly easy each time I was there. Heard others did too. Keep 'em shot up and the plague won't kill 'em. That town we shot up so much lasted over 20 years til it was locked up. Died off the next year.

TR: and anyone else that heats a barrel up. Two of us shooting my one rifle taking about five shots each turn. About ran out of pds. Other guy went over the hill to p and came back to say there was hundreds over there. It was 105F and we'd been shooting fairly steady for hours. couple hundred shots or more.
Gun was plenty hot but almost cool enough to hold the barrel. I left one in the chamber while we moved. First shot blew the primer and wouldn't eject. Gunsmith gave me a ration about: "Hot loads, hot guns and then wonder why things blow up" By then it had cooled enough the case came out easy.
Lesson learned: Don't leave a shell in the chamber if the guns hot.

Eric: Damn man, that's a couple stacks for sure! Never did gather them up like that. A few years I had a buyer for pd heads and cut 'em off. Couple times I got a check for over $200. When the barrel gave out in the middle of fur season I had a freezer full of heads I hadn't sent yet. He wanted them. That paid for a new barrel blank, turning it, all the gun work, a new stock and glass. Came to around $420. Can't find a 'smith for that price these days and this guy died in Dec. So: we're sol for now.

JSH: Don't take it so hard, we don't mean any harm.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"