Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-30-2019, 01:57 AM

Default Would you rather: Speed or accuracy?

I've been working on some load development for a new 22-250 I have with 80gr ELD bullets. Using H-4350 I've stumbled onto a group at 34.1gr that is 0.25 MOA. But when I bump up to 36.5gr I can get a 0.75 group. Would you rather go with the small group and account for the additional bullet drop in the field? Or, being a 22-250, would you keep working towards a faster load?
Old 06-30-2019, 04:20 AM

Dunno where the 36.5 load falls in, but there could well be another node above that if it is safe.

Accuracy always trumps speed. That .75 group is usable.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Supporting Member

To me it is all about balance. Personally I want a load that comes within 150 fps or so of the max velocity for that cartridge, that is also accurate. There is little point in shooting a 22-250 if all you can get out of it is 223 velocities. I have always been able to find top or near top loads that were accurate. Playing with the COAL will often affect groups as much or more than playing with charge weight. If it was me I would take the higher load, which to me seems like it would be over book max but may not show pressure in your gun, and play with the seating depth. I presume you have a 1:9 twist barrel if you are shooting 80 grain bullets out of it. I would also be trying some other powders like Super performance, CFE223 and H 100 that will give you 2-300 fps more speed out of the 22-250 with the heavy bullets.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:18 PM

I always go for accuracy first, then try to work the FPS up, if possible, within safe nodes. However accuracy trumps speed.
Remember a slower accurate hit beats a high speed miss. Just my thoughts Bill K
Old 06-30-2019, 02:54 PM
Supporting Member

"However accuracy trumps speed.
Remember a slower accurate hit beats a high speed miss".

I think Bill covered it very well.
Your target won't know how fast the bullet is going.
I make it a point to load at the "lower node"
Making sure I leave a little "wiggle room"
Load at 70*, step outside and it's 90+ and you wonder why you have to beat the bolt open or are blowing primers?
Most of my bullets are going into the same hole or damn close.
5 shots that can be covered with a dime? PRICELESS no matter how fast they're going.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:23 PM

On groups, I won’t bang my drum to much.
A rig shoots a say 1/2” group once doesn’t make it a 1/2” rifle.
Spoke to a very well respected smith about building a rifle. We talked and discussed a build. I asked if he had any accuracy guarantee, nope. I will say you will be happy with it. I don’t know how well you can shoot.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Thumbs up

I try for balance but will always go for accuracy first. I would rather have tiny little groups at 3800 fps than 1 inch groups at 4000 fps. I don't think the coyotes will care about getting hit with a couple hundred less feet per second. At least... I've never had one tell me!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:44 AM

Default Accuracy or speed

I like both. But accuracy h as to be there. If I can’t find an accurate, that rifle is gone.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:58 AM

How about throwing a 3rd variable into the equation.... ES/SD. I often now chose a group with a low ES/SD over group size @ 100 yds as soon after you'll likely shoot tighter groups at distance with the load that has a tighter ES/SD.
YMMV
Old 07-28-2019, 02:57 AM

A very good point. A low SD shows your loading and shooting procedures are consistent and more repeatable. The SD is more statistically more proper than ES, because it is mathematically correct.

With all the calculators and chronographs available today with statistical functions, it should be used rather than ES. I just saw the article in the recent Handloader where they still insist on using ES. They need to get their editors and publishers to learn something about statistics. They are wrong, in my opinion.