Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-07-2019, 02:05 AM

Tried rem 7.5 after the 450's, went back to the 450's as it didn't make any difference. I have some(40-50) brass that have been through the rifle once, will use that for the next test. I'm running a cheap low profile gb, thinking about a superlative block. Was hoping to see some barn burner groups before upgrading the gb, but maybe I had the cart before the horse.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM

It will come around for you. Just have to find what it likes. How much vertical are we talking about? Has the extension been bedded, and receiver trued?
Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Either of BM or 8208, when in the 24- 24.5 gr range, vertical dispersion will be 2-4" through 5 slow fire, have not shot fast enough for barrel to be more than slightly warm. I have not seen any brass length change, I ran some through full length 223 die, seems only slight body sizing occurred. Did Not have to bump shoulder back for brass to chamber. Receiver not trued, this is first custom barrel that I have had such flakey testing. Powder lot I'm working out of has performed at "book" velocity out of several other rifles. I may have to test above 25.5 gr, with the chronograph, and see if I can hit a flat .5 gr node.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:22 PM

I would try CCI standard or BR4 primers. IMO, magnum primers in a tiny shell like the .223 are not needed and could be the cause of your accuracy issues.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Reviewing ,,None of my test targets showed any pattern( other than a vertical dispersion). Loads repeated showed poi change. Pulled scope/mount since it was quick detach, grabbed a scope recently returned from factory confirmed meeting performance standards. Mounted with q.d. mount, went out and shot a very nice 5 shot dime size ROUND group. 25.1 gr 8208 . I will load some more and confirm repeated groups and scope calibration holding zero. Hoping I can now move on to actually load testing.

Last edited by coyotespotter; 11-07-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:19 PM

Good deal!!
Old 11-07-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
Reviewing ,,None of my test targets showed any pattern( other than a vertical dispersion). Loads repeated showed poi change. Pulled scope/mount since it was quick detach, grabbed a scope recently returned from factory confirmed meeting performance standards. Mounted with q.d. mount, went out and shot a very nice 5 shot dime size ROUND group. 25.1 gr 8208 . I will load some more and confirm repeated groups and scope calibration holding zero. Hoping I can now move on to actually load testing.
Glad to hear it is coming around...you still have a little more room for 8208.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:18 PM

The scope was a first gen Monarch, in a Weaver cantilever mount. During the shoot/clean break in, it adjusted to +.75" 100 yard zero in 3 shots, 2 shoot clean cycles had shots almost touching. That's why I didn't think optics until I reviewed the subsequent targets. Out of any three or 5 shot group there would be 1-2 at zero setting, then the high and low impacts, almost perfectly vertical. I'm not sure if it is the scope or the mount, the scope had been on 2 bolt guns through 8-9 years never an adjustment after zeroing, rail/ring setup. Snow and wind here and firearms deer season(farm zone)so I can't possess in field. Will have to revisit my load test and I have about 20 light loads to pull. And I need to purchase a .233 bushing if I want to try new brass.