Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Lapua vs. Norma

I use Lapua brass but how does Norma compare to it? your knowledge please.
thanks, D
Old 09-22-2006, 07:49 AM

Default lapua vs. norma

I'm kind of interested in this as well. But which cartridge are your interested in, or are in you interested in them all? I use Norma for 243, Norma for 222, Lapua for 308, some Norma for 22 Hornet, some Norma for 7mmRemMag - it all depends on what is available and at what price in NZ. Also, other factors, e.g., Norma 222 is the thickest neck brass in 222 that I've measured, so takes up a bit of the excess space in the factory (Tikka) neck.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:08 AM

John and Dasher,

My experience w/ Norma and Lapua primarily involves the 220 Russian brass which I use for my 6PPC and 17 LN. The most common reply from BR shooters is the Norma brass is "softer" than Lapua and will not provide as many firings per case. Please note that in the 6PPC, this cartridge likes to be pushed to the limits as the Norma primer pockets loosen much faster than the Lapua.

I have used Norma 280 rem and 7x57 brass in my other custom rifles but do not shoot my rifles at maximum velocities and pressures. Because of the metallurgical properties of Norma brass (when compared to Lapua), I beleive the Lapua will provide longer case/brass life if you're looking to shoot maximum velocities. For standard loads that are approx. 80 - 90% maximum, you should be fine.

With all things being equal, I prefer Lapua over the Norma since the QC seems to be much better with the Lapua. Brass is more consistent with neck wall thickness and case weight. I have also seen where in certain situations, the Norma brass is priced more than Lapua. Neither brass is cheap when compared to the domestic USA brass; however if you have a custom rifle and are looking for optimum accuracy and case life, Lapua is hard to beat.

If you're shooting a factory built rifle with regular SAAMI specs and a long throated chamber, you may not see a real signifigant decrease in accuracy when shooting domestic vs. imported brass. Since practically all my rifles are custom built and geared towards accuracy, the Lapua is a no-brainer for me. If I have to spend an extra $25 for a 100 pcs. of brass no big deal. In my experience, the Lapua brass is practically indestructable and will last a long time when compared to other brass manufacturers.

FWIW, I just purchased 100 pcs. of Lapua 222 Rem brass for $42.00. Yes it costs more than Rem or WW brass, but I know what I'm getting in regards to case life and consistency.

Hope this helps,

CB <*)))>{
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM

Default Lapua brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post

the QC seems to be much better with the Lapua. Brass is more consistent with neck wall thickness and case weight.

In my experience, the Lapua brass is practically indestructable and will last a long time when compared to other brass manufacturers.

FWIW, I just purchased 100 pcs. of Lapua 222 Rem brass for $42.00. Yes it costs more than Rem or WW brass, but I know what I'm getting in regards to case life and consistency.

Hope this helps,

CB <*)))>{

Hi Blake,
Do you find the quality of the Lapua .222 Rem brass to be comparable to their .220 Russian brass? The reason I ask is that I have seen posts on other boards claiming that the small (.222 - .223) Lapua brass is actually inferior to other brands and that it is subcontracted to other brass manufacturers. I am interested in your opinion as a "trusted source" since I don't know anything about the posters claiming the Lapua brass is inferior. I am particularly interested in the primer pocket life at higher pressures.

Thanks for shedding some light on this question.

Gary
Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I have used the Lapua 222 brass, and found it to be top quality stuff as well as *very* tough. I've read the claims of inferior quality with the 223 sized stuff too, but it sure didn't apply to the 222 brass I had.

One thing, the Lapua 222 brass holds a full grain less powder than a W-W case, so adjust accordingly.

"Special appetite skill combine with brain lentil size create the deadliest!"
Old 09-22-2006, 01:12 PM

gary,

i have yet to recv the Lapua 222 brass since i just ordered it a few days ago. i hope to recv it in the next several days, and will break down all 100 cases by case weight and neck wall thickness. once my initial inspection is complete , i'll post my honest opinion.

i should be fire-forming and shooting the brass over the next few weeks. I'll report about case life and primer pocket expansion as they are directly related to velocities from my rifle.

I too have read the i-net forums where it is mentioned that Lapua sub-contracts their small caliber brass to someone else. I have have a hard time believing this since they would be putting their name on someone elses manufactured product. I know it happens all the time today to save $$$ and maximize profits. I'll try to email Lapua and their USA importer to get the scoop straight from the horses mouth.

Thx for your Q as I'll be sure to report my truthful objective findings once confirmed.

CB <*)))>{
Old 09-22-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Thanks Blake

I use lapua in forming, 22 br, 20 tac, 20 br, 20 Dasher, and 17 ppc. I am asking this question in regaurd to the PPC case on this particular occasion. I have the oppertunity to buy some already prepped 17 ppc bras made from Norma ppc brass. I shoot 30 gr Bergers at the upper levels. Just wanted to see if this stuff would last. Thanks again for your help. D
Old 09-22-2006, 02:29 PM

Default Lapua brass

Thanks Dan & Blake. I'll be watching for your updates.

I know people say the same thing about many forums on the net but I have found this to be the most informative, friendly and helpful forum especially as it pertains to the small caliber stuff. No big egos - just honest sharing of experiences and information.

I keep thinking that maybe one day I will have something worth sharing...

Gary
Old 09-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Dasher,

regarding your possible brass purchase, dave moore is a straight up feloow and perhaps he has 1st hand exp. with the Norma ppc brass. make sure your chamber is cut for norma or PPC brass since they each have different readings at the web. some tight chambers cut for lapua brass wil not chamber norma brass and vice versa.

dave is 100% honest and will treat you fair !

cb <*)))>{
Old 09-22-2006, 03:08 PM

Default thanks again

Blake,
My chamber is cut tight for lapua brass. Your help was needed for this purchase. I did not know the two had different dimensions. I'm glad for yours and others help here. I will thank Dave for his time and patience with me.
do appreciate it, D