Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Supporting Member

Default Kids range training suggestions

I organize 3 outings for the kids each year. First is practical range rules. We teach them how to safely use a Rifle Range and the rules. First session is this Sunday. I know we have some members here that do likewise things with the kids. Instead of just shooting paper what other targets or things do you do to make the session more fun? I thought about Eggs or Lollipops but that may be a bit too hard for them. They will be shooting Rim Fire of course. Mostly 22LR.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Supporting Member

Good for you Steve. We had a young man shoot this year at our shoot and he was darn good. Maybe shoot at 50 yds for the first session to boost their spirits and to get use to their guns. Paint balls glued to targets make interesting targets but the eggs I believe are the most liked, messy. Glue Necco wafers to targets. If you use paint balls it will help to degrease the part being hot glued to the paper. I used rubbing alcohol. Best of luck Steve.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Supporting Member

Ballons, reactive spinner plates and paint balls (on long golf tees) usually get them into the groove and keep their attention....

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 09-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Board Sponsor

Depending on the age, clay targets are good. Younger ones get a kick out of breaking them and slightly older compete on who can break them down the smallest in a given number of rounds.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 09-12-2016, 10:10 PM
Supporting Member

Default ditto

on clay targets. Cheap, break easy and easy to see with iron sights.,. Spinners are fun and easy also.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Supporting Member

I have a set of spinners that's a good one. I'll run over to Dicks and get a box of Clay's and some paintballs. Eggs on golf tees. Awesome.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 PM

Kids really are not all that much different than us old farts. Everyone likes to see something happen after the trigger is squeezed.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:44 AM

Our group, a local DU chapter, has sponsored a youth day (Greenwing Program) once a year for nearly 40 years. Age ranges 5-17. Activities include shooting clays, 22 rifle shooting, archery (run by an Ohio Division of Wildlife officer), boating safety run by Ohio Watercraft/Ohio Parks, BB gun shooting, face painting, finger printing by local sheriff's department. Many prizes are given away. Size of group around 100 youngsters. In years past over 150.
A parent is expected to be with their child. Hot dogs, soda/water and chips are served.
The main idea is provide a safe and fun day.
Please keep or start a program even on a small scale giving youngsters a safe and fun day afield!
Many youngsters have no one in their family who hunt/shoot.
Jim
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM

As a Scoutmaster and NRA instructor, I have a lot of opportunities to work with kids at the range.

First - some kids will need to find a way to hit the target. If they leave the range without a decent target they can get discouraged. I would start all kids out at 50 feet (merit badge qualifying distance) and then work your way out to 25 yards and then 50 yards. If a kid is having trouble, move the target closer. I have had kids shoot a target at 10 feet before just to get them on target and get their confidence up. Send kids home with a target that shows a decent group. Some will be able to do this at at 50 feet and others at 50 yards. There is usually a big difference between iron sights and telescopic sights for kids. I like to start kids with iron sights, but will have at least one rifle with a scope for the kids having trouble getting on target and getting a decent group.

Second - I usually pound several nails into a 2x4 and then stick a potatoe on the nail. They they are cheap (a scout is thrifty) and expolode well and are biodegradable. The kids really like to shoot them. Depending on how much time we have, we may have a round robin shoot off using paper targets, spinners and other things. We gradually reduce the time to make 5 shots with the either winners advancing to the next round or losers dropping out. We have done this with teams of kids where poor shooters are teamed up with better shooters to be more competitive (or fathers and sons, Mothers and sons, etc) . Just some thoughts. Have fun!!!!!!!! Be safe!!!!!!! Burt
Old 09-13-2016, 07:56 PM

I like charcoal briquettes. They make a nice, black dust cloud.