Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
The action I have is the old Stevens 200 savage built short action staggered fed style no bdm. I like a dBm in general but on this build would probably for go it to save weight. It is a short action not the longer stlye of the new axis or edge that's out. It just isnt super short like the howa. I don't want to build it on a cz only for the issue of the backwards safety and teaching a child how a safety works. A model 7 may work just not sure I can load the rounds long enough to fit and still have a repeater with the heavier bullets. I thought about the sharps but as BCB mentioned there is a better assortment of bullets. Easier to get and more options. I like that it's 223 brass as I run an ar so I will always have plenty laying around. Looking for a cheap round to get lots of practice with
Sounds like all you need is a barrel & stock!!! BTW, the 25-45 Sharps is 223 Rem brass necked up to 25 cal instead of 6mm, so the brass issue is mute. Loaded ammo is available for the 25-45 & the 6x45, as well. Let us know how it turns out!!
Old 09-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

Default 6x45 donor

I used one of the model 7 300 BO actions and had Adam barrel it. Barrel was a Pacnor with a 10tw, accuracy is there and total cost was low.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Interarms (Charles daly) mini mauser, Remington mini mauser, sako short action l461 a1, cz 527, my buddy has a ar-15 with a barrel he got from midway that shoots great. as others have said model 7, mine was a 6x47 and was plenty long. Remington 700 short action with 223 bolt face would work, and the list goes on.

I or my buddy have built 6x45 on all these actions. I had a custom barreled ar that would shoot 3/8" groups with 80 gr bullets.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:06 PM

Default North Texas 6x45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I used one of the model 7 300 BO actions and had Adam barrel it. Barrel was a Pacnor with a 10tw, accuracy is there and total cost was low.
Chuck…..You need to sell that to me…..
Old 09-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post

That being said, a AICS compatible DBM tends to work well in the Savage center feeds. I run both 6.5 Creedmoor and .20 Tactical in Savage center/stagger feed (respectively) with AICS mags. Plus an AICS mags allows you toss a round on top of the mag lips for a quick load if the mag has run dry.
I'm a cheap bastid so AICS anything is out of my price range. 223 based varminting 20's are perfect for AR mags. Converted an LRPV 3 screw single shot Savage to use AR mags in 20 Prac its one of my favorites, especially in target rich environments. Full bull barrel, no recoil, 20 rds later its time to let 'er cool off. 223 based 6mm you need more OAL the top feed stagger works really well. I totally dislike small capacity DBM's for varminting, much easier to top off a mag from the open bolt by feel while still glassing around.

Hunting is a different story, not a stalking hunter, strictly a varmint eradicator, I don't know what would work best in a dual purpose system but I'd probably lean towards the top feed setup. I do not care for the changes Savage implemented after ATK took over.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:16 PM

If you need a set of dies I think I still have a set of CH4D dies I'd let go of.

Aaron
Old 09-12-2016, 02:46 AM

I have a 6x47mm built on a Tikka M55 action that was originally a .222, plenty of room in the magazine for pretty much any OAL you like (once the spacers have been removed) and a very accurate rifle.

However brass availability and quality issues led me to go to a 6x45mm.
Remington 222 Mag brass comes and goes in Australia, Sako 222 Rem Mag brass was very expensive and not as good as it should have been for the price

The 6x45mm was built by Bob De Vries on a Sako L461 (that used to be a .222 Rem Mag) but while a very nice light and compact hunting rifle it is very restricted regarding OAL. A L461 action is probably a little short for this round.
24" 1:10" Chrome Moly TSE barrel profiled to match the original, Dave Manson reamer with throat optimised for 70-80gr bullets.

Max OAL is 58mm (for smooth feeding from the magazine box and ejection of a loaded round) which does restrict bullet choice and load flexibility... haven't really got into much load development for this rifle yet, but have 100 reformed .223 Lapua Match cases ready

Last edited by Tilleyman; 09-12-2016 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Twist rate added...
Old 09-12-2016, 08:37 PM

Thats a nice looking rifle.

Aaron
Old 09-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepasture View Post
Chuck…..You need to sell that to me…..
You should buy the parts and send it to me

Adam
Old 09-13-2016, 11:02 PM

Default I've had that very discussion…

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
You should buy the parts and send it to me

Adam
Chuck and I have talked about that….I have a Sako L46 .222 Mag action sitting here….would need it stocked too…..