Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-18-2019, 04:13 AM

Use to do this with my 22-250 with just primers and JSB exact 15 gr pellets. Problem is you have to really clean your barrel when your done as the primer compound builds up. It was fun but it gets old quick.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:29 AM
Supporting Member

I wouldn't use my FWB 300 but with an old pneumatic rifle I am going to chrono a pellet with a drop of oil in the cavity. Used to do that when I was a kid. Not as a steady diet but it would be interesting to see the velocity.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Bob:

Tried to post the other night and the IT connection died again here.

I had some sample 15gr bullets one of the board members made
several years ago. Never used 'em, gave them to Rider. IF he still
has them, might make a good test run with those.
Can't think of who it was that made 'em.

I'd not use 4895 though.

RedDot works great for me in light rifle loads for plinking and teaching
women and kids how to shoot the big guns and not get hurt.
5-10gr. NO need to tilt either. In the '06 with 5gr RD and 158gr cast they're
just right for 50 yards. seems like I got about 1100fps.

For your doings I'd try one grain to start.

Have fun!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 04-21-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:36 PM

If you do decide this is something worth experimenting with, there are other options for pellets than just the standard 'waisted' pellets. You can see on this page the 'piledriver', 'sniper magnum' and 'rabbit magnum' have a stronger base design to prevent stripping the skirt as one person posted. There are even solid copper pellets that should be stronger, and resist leading. Increasing the weight of the pellet is a good way to keep the velocity down if you find the primers give you too much speed.

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/air-gun-hunting

I've got a few quality pellet rifles and they shoot amazingly well. Last fall I picked up one in .35 cal and it launches an 80 grain pellet at 800 fps. Shooting tin cans is hilarious with that impact.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Quite a variety of pellets there.

Should be, they've been made for well over 60 years.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-22-2019, 04:23 PM

I gotta try this in the 17FB.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:41 AM

Default 21gr pellet

I did almost an idendical thing, using a 17VHA & 21gr piledrivers turned around backwards with a small pistol primer and 0.5grains of IMR HS -700X.

IT WORKS QUITE WELL. There is a catch though, and that is of course the .177" pellets are 0.005 over diameter than your brass is likely to accept. I used 0.5 to 1.0gr of the 700x and it is very effective. Measuring it takes an electronic scale and a lot of patience. Chamfer a few fired cases and don't bother neck sizing them as it might be all that is necessary to get pellets seated using just your finger pressure.

I had to scratch my head a bit on seating the .177" pellets in the case necked to accept .172" bullets, that was until I realized a solution sitting at the other end of my bench in a non operating old corded dremel.

Looking at the hole for fitting collets in the dremel and fitting a standard .172 " snugly in it , I realized that there was a bullet sizer right there waiting to be polished, removed from the old broken dremel and put into good use.

Five minutes later, I had a perfectly good pellet sizer.

I found out later that Ron Reeds cast 24gr and 32gr NOE were better though not hollow based or hollow pointed, & if I turned the 21grain Piledriver around, so that they were now hollow pointed., it was a much cheaper solution.

You can get a LOT of 21gr Piledrivers for less than the NOE cast bullets.

I use a light pistol primer, here, excerpted from the internet in a pistol reloading forum from a guy who took the trouble to find out is why.

Back in the 80's somebody, I don't remember who right now, did a article for "Precision Shooting" where he tested primers. He only tested small rifle match primers as that's what most benchresters use. He had a very short barrel 2 - 4", I think, and photographed the flash against a lighted grid. He also had a piezo film to an oscilloscope to give a pressure trace. Then he fired them for accuracy. His conclusion was the primers that had the mildest flash and pressure gave the best groups. He was shooting a 6mm PPC so it wasn't like it was a lot of powder but still. I don't remember what powder he was using but it was a proven accuracy load for his rifle.
I just started to go back to the standard old .172" bullets as I don' t really require such a quiet load, and it is a lot more trouble than I care to go through to make a quiet load. Real jacketed bullets though are much more likely to riccochet.

Tip: Make a concave cup punch for the Piledrivers if you try sizing them down, they are soft. They go clear through a roll of wet toilet paper and do a lot of damage in the process.

Second tip: Just use a 20gr .172" VMAX with the polycarbonate tip pulled right out to give you a very generous hollowpoint. Fill it with wax to get a really effective hp.
http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_t..._reference.htm

Good luck,
Hutch

Last edited by 17tbs; 04-24-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:04 AM
Supporting Member

Read something a while back about using Power Loads, the 22 shells they use in stud drivers to sink nails in cement in 22 rimfire rifles. Stuff a pellet down the barrel with a rod and load up the Power Load. Sounds like fun and different.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:32 AM

I have a hard time not wanting to blow the grackle up... 32gr vmax at 3800-4000 fps sounds way more fun.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

that's to fast, town is in the direction I have to shoot, that's why I want 600-800 fps. enough to kill a grackle but not enough to hit the police chief.