Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Question on Primer Storage

I'm not sure if I have this in the right place or not, but I have a question on primer storage. If I've put this in the wrong place I apologize. Moderator please move it.

I keep large and small pistol and large and small rifle primers on hand. Even if I only have a few thousand of each on hand it’s still more than I want to store in the house. I have rural acreage and can easily build a storage magazine at the back of the property that is away from all buildings.

I can make this magazine completely “water tight” so there is no danger of any water (rain, snow, ground water, etc) ever being a problem. I can put a really good roof on it and ensure the contents are high and dry.

What I’m worried about is “atmospheric moisture” and, mostly, “temperature”, or perhaps I should say “temperature changes”. I live in the Northern part of Canada, so while it never gets all that hot here in the summer, it can get pretty cold. It rarely goes up over 80 in the summer, and this magazine would be in a shaded area anyway, but in the winter it could get down to 20 or 25 below.

Would this be a problem for primers? I know it’s not supposed to effect powder at all, as long as it’s dry and sealed. Would primers be the same? As long as they are dry, would it matter if the temperature ranged from a high of 80 in the summer to possibly minus 25 in the winter?

Anybody got any thoughts on this?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Default 1972

This year I loaded with primers that were purchased in 1962, CCI 400. Primers stored away from moisture should last longer than you.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Supporting Member

Also If you use Coolers, like Igloo or a cheap version, that will store more primer than you could shoot in a year. They make big ones and they're still cheaper than the shed and portable too. Adam
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 PM

You could always vacuum seal them in plastic bags.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Supporting Member

.50 cal ammo cans. Rubber gasket to keep out moisture and readily available for nominal cost. Good enough for our military to keep there ammo dry---- I use them for lots of applications.

Aaron
Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 PM

+1 on the ammo cans. If you want to take it a step furthur, use silicone grease on the gasket (like you would on an air filter gasket) and add a bit of dessicant to absorb what moisture is in the air when you seal the can.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

I use a combination of zip lock bags and ammo storage boxes. Have some going back to 1990 which I recently used for my varmint rifles.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

+2 on the ammo cans. I store all my primers in 50 cal ammo cans with a good reusable dessicant pack. I check them a couple times a year and make sure the dessicant is still good.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Would this be a problem for primers? I know it’s not supposed to effect powder at all, as long as it’s dry and sealed. Would primers be the same? As long as they are dry, would it matter if the temperature ranged from a high of 80 in the summer to possibly minus 25 in the winter?
I would contact the manufacturer and ask about that low temperature.

I looked at a few of my primer boxes and didn't see any storage temperatures listed, but -25 degrees is probably below what the manufacturers are thinking about when they consider storage conditions.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Keep them protected from moisture,condensation and extreme heat. Also store them so nothing can get dropped on them. In the U.S. The National Fire Protection Association suggests not storing more than 10,000 primers at a private resedence. I work in an ammunition manufacturing facilty, the priming compounds used there are inert when wet and all manufacturing of primers, and priming of cases is done with the compounds in a wet state for safety because the priming compounds are a high explosive. A box of 1,000 primers detonates with more explosive force than a stick of dynamite.
Larry